My 54 Cranbrook

kd1975

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd start a thread on the old girl I recently picked up.

The car is an Australian P25 and put together less than 30km from where I live. It has a full history and from what I can tell was last registered in 1993 and then stored after the owner passed away.

It's a good honest car in good original condition - I also collect old BMX's too so I know the line "It's only original once" but I'd like to help the old girl out a bit with a freshen up.

It won't be a massive makeover just some engine work (it doesn't currently turnover - close but not quite), get the rear wheels engineered to take a wider tyre and lower it a inch or two all the way around, perhaps a retrim - the old vinyl is a bit beat up and quite brittle on the door trims, some bodywork to get the paint back in order - the roof is the main concern and the lef t rear quarter panel needs attention, and then polish up all the stainless stell and chrome trim.

Once I get balls deep into it I'll probably say "Oh and I'll just do this or that" but for now I just need to get it running and registered so I can drive her around a bit.

Here's some pics of her current stae - any advice or tips would are welcomed as this is my first car resto

Cheers and thanks

Kurt

general-26.JPG

general-16.JPG

general-2.JPG

general-10.JPG

general-12.JPG

general-13.JPG

general-14.JPG

general-19.JPG

general-20.JPG

general-25.JPG

general-6.JPG

general-7.JPG

general-5.JPG

general-23.JPG

general-4.JPG

Edited by kd1975
  • Like 1

Yes, the plain fender toppers were used on both Dodge and Plymouth in Canada.   I also note 53 style trunk handle, different instruments and provisions for the heater are different.

Just now, dpollo said:

Yes, the plain fender toppers were used on both Dodge and Plymouth in Canada.   I also note 53 style trunk handle, different instruments and provisions for the heater are different.

I find that quite ugly but it opens and closes like it's still 1954!

From a quick chat with Jim Robinson he said Australia was still receiving 1953 parts from the US in 1955 so these cars were thrown together with what was available. 

Looks like it has already been converted over to 12 volt,so that is one headache you can avoid.

1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

Looks like it has already been converted over to 12 volt,so that is one headache you can avoid.

I have no idea how you can tell that from pics - I'm still really green - but I briefly recall my mate who knows about cars saying it was 12v

swap meet before last, I came across a NOS and a extremely nice hood badge for this model...other parts showed up also and were rough, some folks still try to pass 53 stuff off as 54 and refuse to acknowledge there is a difference in some of the parts, just saying this to let you know parts still out there if you beat the right bush

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

two most obvious is the battery in the picture and the oh-so-modern radio in the dash...

Haha...... I didn't think that radio was original. Still works a treat but from my research it was first manufactured in 1969.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/amalgamate_awa_cruiser_mf3v.html

i'd like to replace that with something more poeriod correct

4 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

swap meet before last, I came across a NOS and a extremely nice hood badge for this model...other parts showed up also and were rough, some folks still try to pass 53 stuff off as 54 and refuse to acknowledge there is a difference in some of the parts.

I believe this car has a mix of both, correct? The papers say January 1954 so it's in that crossover period I guess. 

I think it's extremely ugly..... but I love it!

There are a surprising number of changes between 53 and 54 but they are mostly in the trim and ornamentation.  The bumpers are extended to give the car more length as the 53 was perceived  by some to be short and stubby.  Other differences I have noted is the radiator is typical of a Canadian 53  and the upholstery stitching and patterns are different.

Interesting conversation with Tim and Arthur.  Merry Christmas.  Time for my Rum and Egg nog.   Good luck with it, kd.

29 minutes ago, kd1975 said:

I have no idea how you can tell that from pics - I'm still really green - but I briefly recall my mate who knows about cars saying it was 12v

Well,it has a 12 volt battery under the hood,and a modern 12 volt radio installed in the dash. Those are pretty good clues.

Kurt, apart from the 12 volt battery & radio which are the easy giveaway as mentioned, those headlights look like H4's which are very hard to find in 12volt.......I'm surprised that none of the Nth American guys have noted the leather seat upholstery and the rear seat armrest that as far as I am aware no Nth American Plymouth or Dodge ever had and indicates an Oz only car.......BTW you have earlier mentioned that its a D25 but WHAT version?...........D25/? what..........should have 1,2,3 or 4 after the slash to indicate which version........also is that a "Harden & Johnson" plate on the firewall?.........btw nice pics, shame about the few tears in the front seat although a good going over with a leather conditioner may help it a bit and it maybe worth showing it to an upholsterer as it maybe possible to have the cover removed and those tears sewn or backed with another piece of leather.................regards, andyd  

Edited by Andydodge

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

.......I'm surprised that none of the Nth American guys have noted the leather seat upholstery and the rear seat armrest that as far as I am aware no Nth American Plymouth or Dodge ever had and indicates an Oz only car......................regards, andyd  

Well,he did describe them as being vinyl,so who are we to question this from a photo?

Also,why would any of us even notice it if it wasn't even an option with NA cars?

14 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Well,he did describe them as being vinyl,so who are we to question this from a photo?

Also,why would any of us even notice it if it wasn't even an option with NA cars?

I think it's vinyl - I'm not 100% sure tho. I'll check it out a bit more when I get back to the workshop.

I also think Any was just helping me with some info - not suggesting you guys in the US should know it all

But I do think some of the NA cars had the rear arm rests from some of the photos I've seen

Edited by kd1975

My NA 54 Savoy Club Coupe not only has the rear arm rests, it also has ash trays built into each quarter panel/trim card.  As for the headlights, not sure of what the Aussie cars were factory equipped with but my 54 still has the date coded and fully operational Bullseye lamps.  These cars do grown on you.  The absence of a split windshield and with integral rear fenders and lower hood put it into the beginning of major body changes for the Plymouth and yes it did start with the 53 model year for those that own 53's,  I will not slight you or your car..

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

My NA 54 Savoy Club Coupe not only has the rear arm rests, it also has ash trays built into each quarter panel/trim card.  As for the headlights, not sure of what the Aussie cars were factory equipped with but my 54 still has the date coded and fully operational Bullseye lamps.  These cars do grown on you.  The absence of a split windshield and with integral rear fenders and lower hood put it into the beginning of major body changes for the Plymouth and yes it did start with the 53 model year for those that own 53's,  I will not slight you or your car..

Thanks mate, all good. I'm just hoping to learn as I go

the majority of electrical parts - distributor,  coil, headlights etc appear to be Lucas.

the components are Lucas on many down-under cars...but a good question or least one that I would find interesting is if the wiring harness was installed/supplied from NA in the NA supplied bodies /knock down kits  or sourced locally?  Step up Andy, you got a possible home run coming with this one...

I guess I will dare another question on the car....are the hubcap/knave plates as shown original to that car in NSW/Australia?  I believe long ago we discussed the poverty caps on here for that model but I cannot recall exactly what they looked like....just checked my photo folder and I do not have a picture saved if it was ever posted...

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I guess I will dare another question on the car....are the hubcap/knave plates as shown original to that car in NSW/Australia?  I believe long ago we discussed the poverty caps on here for that model but I cannot recall exactly what they looked like....just checked my photo folder and I do not have a picture saved if it was ever posted...

As far as I know they are. The caps are all stamped Plymouth on the outer as you see and all have a part number stamped on the inner. The caps are all made of solid brass.

The knave plate (I had to google search what that even is) I would assume is original. All  wheels including the spare are the same and all have handpainted pin striping on them.

If there are any particular photos you'd like, let me know and I'd be happy to get them 

Edited by kd1975

The poverty caps (as PA calls them) are carry overs from what was used in 50. These were to be found on Canadian 54s.

My 54 Belvedere had wheel covers and they were unique.  Very plain with a sailboat in a smaller red circle than 51.  This car

still exists although I let it go a long time ago..   It had tinted glass, powerflite, and power steering as well as radio, heater and other options. The rear armrests

were standard even on the low-line Plaza.  ( I had one of these which had been a police car.... 11 inch brakes  big clutch and generator and not much else )

When I got the Belvedere it had travelled 116000 miles on the original 228 engine which still ran pretty well. I swapped it for a 251.   A Nice car.  Amazon green over

San Gabriel green.    Canadians rarely dressed their cars up like this one, at least not where I lived.