lowering

porters

There's a few ways to go. Depends on how fat your wallet is 

For the front you can always cut a coil out and see where that gets you. Move the spacer from the bottom to the top of the coil. Fat Man has dropped uprights. Or mustang 2.

For the rear searched springs. Posies springs. Eaton spring has 2" drop springs also. Of course there is also old school blocks. 

Tire diameter as well. 

48Hoopty is correct. Depends how much you want to spend and how low you want to go and if you are capable of doing the work yourself.. My 48 club coupe has 2 inch lowering blocks on the rear. Less than 100 dollars for the blocks and new ubolts. The front has the Moog cc850 coils that I cut one whole coil off of. Cost about 50 dollars . Rides and drives great.

IMG_3078.JPG

When I did my build several years ago I installed a dodge charger differential. In the process of doing so I installed a pair of lowering blocks. These blocks served a two fold purpose. They corrected the leaf spring pin pilot hole size and they effectively lowered the car 1/4" on both sides. I really like the new stance. That is about as low as I want to go. I never understood the advantage of lowering a car.

27.jpg

25.jpg

I made a set of 2" and 3" blocks. See too many aluminum blocks crack and break here in the desert. Though I won't be off roading it. Also have an 8.8 disc brake rear to swap in soon. Tires I have on it now are 26". Going with 29" to fill up the front wheel well. The front I'm relocating the pad and using the moog springs with a coil or so cut off. Hoping that gets the stance right. 

Worst case scenario is air. My gas tank is in the trunk so I have plenty of room to add a crossmember and put in bags. Rather just do a static drop. 

I'm going for stance. Right now the chop is priority. Stance is next up

20171225_100812.png

Screenshot_20171225-095513.jpg

15 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

those are heavy enough to withstand any punishment and lower you ET in the quarter at the same time....

Indeed one weighs more than a 12 pack. 1.5 square tube and 2 pcs of 3/4 plate.. 4 1/2" long.. the 2" are 2 pcs of 1" flat bar and are 5" long..and they weigh more. 

hey, nothing wrong with heavy duty......I like to see when a person takes a modification serious and strives to ensure the product not only will serve the intended purpose but serve it for years to come in a very safe manner.  I have always been accused of "overkill"....what is your life worth is all I ask....risks to be on the street are bad enough from the OTHER GUY...why increase these with personal disregard...hats off to you....keep a building...

Mike...........on my 41 Coupe I had 1 coil cut from the front and 2" steel blocks installed on the rear springs, also used 15x6 and 15x7 Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothies & Coker Classic radial Whitewalls, 195/75 and 235/75  which added probably another 1 inch extra to lower the stance......ideally in the long run I would have had new coils made up to drop the front the 2" that the cut coil equated to as the cut coil made the ride a little hard but was liveable tho'..........regards, andyd  

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

I used Eaton front coil spring(1" lower) along with fatman dropped uprights and front shock mount .  Used Eaton rear leaf springs (2" drop).  Ride quality is very good and handling much improved.  Be careful lowering rear as driveshaft clearance becomes an issue.  This isn't the cheapest way but it's very functional and it looks factory

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

If do decide to use the Fat Man, use the shock conversion with the shock mounted at the top hole to get full shock travel. I paid about $300 and it was very hard to find. The kit is designed to be used with disc brakes but you can still use drums like I did.

2 hours ago, K_Jordan said:

On my 48 Rear I used 49 springs and 2" blocks.... 1st pic stock springs  2nd pic 49 springs  3rd pic 49 springs and 2" blocks ...

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

IMG_4472.jpg

What's the difference between the 48 and 49 spring. What is your rim and tire diameter.  I am spring shopping right now and that looks pretty decent.

3 hours ago, 48hoopty said:

What's the difference between the 48 and 49 spring. What is your rim and tire diameter.  I am spring shopping right now and that looks pretty decent.

The 49 springs lay flatter (de-arched compared to the 46/48 springs. The wheels are 17x7.5 tires 225/45/r17

On 12/25/2017 at 12:45 PM, Don Coatney said:

When I did my build several years ago I installed a dodge charger differential. In the process of doing so I installed a pair of lowering blocks. These blocks served a two fold purpose. They corrected the leaf spring pin pilot hole size and they effectively lowered the car 1/4" on both sides. I really like the new stance. That is about as low as I want to go. I never understood the advantage of lowering a car.

Rebel.