Have any hidden upgrades you want to share?

P15-D24

While this is the "stock" section some upgrades for safety or reliability are good, especially if they are invisible to the observer. Like Dot 5 brake fluid, or factory radio upgrade with FM added. I also added an Allison/Crane optical ignition system. The control box is well hidden so when you lift the hood you think it's stock.  Giveaway is when it starts instantly.

What's on your truck?  

• Like 2

One I'm ready to test while driving is my floor shifter for the three speed transmission and the three speed BW R 10 overdrive. It will accomplish several upgrades that I want. One is to add some modernity to the cabin, especially when used with bucket seats,  two it will eliminate all the sometime troublesome rod linkages under the floor, three if I wish, I can option an overdrive thumb switch button and eliminate the floor stepdown switch to name a few goals. It's ready to install, one I'm satisfied with how it works, then I will redo all parts for a professional look. 

This looks similar to previous photos, but there are some minute yet significant changes. 

IMG_2029.JPG

• Like 2

A "Hidden upgrade" i have done in my b3b would be the 3.73 gears in the rear instead of the 4.1

• Like 2

One thing I did was replace the clevis pin that secures the gas pedal rod to the bell crank with a bolt that has a machined shaft that I got at Ace hardware. It fits perfect and eliminates all the side to side slop in the gas pedal.I tried a new clevis pin but the fit was still a tad sloppy so I went with the bolt . The only other thing I can think of is the PO installed a 3:54 pumpkin in the stock housing which is great because pretty much all we have where I live is wide open level desert roads, mostly hwy with few to no real hills. I love it. 

IMG_20150410_132845830.jpg

IMG_20150410_135311054.jpg

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 3

I changed the center section of my rear axle with a 3.54 from a Plymouth for better cruising speeds. I also added an AUX plug on the radio in my truck so I'm not stuck with AM radio. Other than that, I added a factory spare tire holder, I added electric wipers from a junk yard truck, I stained and varnished the bed wood, and my truck originally had a black bed that I painted body color. Everything else is stock on my truck. It drives and runs great! 

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I changed the center section of my rear axle with a 3.54 from a Plymouth for better cruising speeds. I also added an AUX plug on the radio in my truck so I'm not stuck with AM radio. Other than that, I added a factory spare tire holder, I added electric wipers from a junk yard truck, I stained and varnished the bed wood, and my truck originally had a black bed that I painted body color. Everything else is stock on my truck. It drives and runs great! 

Did you change the axle shafts along with the punkin Or just the  gears?

i put the guts of the 3.73 in the 4.1  housing changed the side gears so I could use the original longer shafts

8 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

Did you change the axle shafts along with the punkin Or just the  gears?

i put the guts of the 3.73 in the 4.1  housing changed the side gears so I could use the original longer shafts

I used my axle shafts. All I did was unbolt the 4.10 center section once I had the axles out and bolted the 3.54 center in as a complete unit. I had to reshim the axle shaft end play though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just upgraded this weekend from 6.5x 16 Bias to 215/85/16 radials on our B4D :)

5a7684e8ad613_rims(2)(1024x768).jpg.46915f4d16cf2229c85eb950bacefe72.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The DOT 5 fluid in my '48 still holds pressure 19 years later... I replaced the draft tube with a PCV valve on the '49 and the engine compartment doesn't smoke nor does the engine drip oil there...I have plans to add the tube from the oil fill tube to the air filter to siphon off any other crankcase gases to further clean up the engine compartment... also added the ground stud to the fuel level sending unit to eliminate any guesswork and minimize any future surprise pedestrian activities :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, Brent B3B said:

just upgraded this weekend from 6.5x 16 Bias to 215/85/16 radials on our B4D :)

5a7684e8ad613_rims(2)(1024x768).jpg.46915f4d16cf2229c85eb950bacefe72.jpg

They don't rub on the duals? 

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

They don't rub on the duals? 

aww you caught me :)

no they don't rub, I added a 1" spacer I made from an old brake rotors from a 2000 Mazda Protégé.

rotor.thumb.JPG.66df99fd32cb8fdbdd68d8156e83150b.JPG

cut out the centers drilled some 5/8" holes with 1" counter sink on both sides (for the "rim locks")  replaced the wheel bolts (with longer ones) and prettied them up  

spacers.JPG.a77f359a0c6862ec49b48927e6b86b7e.JPG

I knew that Mazda was good for something! :lol: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven’t changed too much from stock on my 52 DeSoto truck or my 53 Dodge coupe truck... but I did chop the internal section of the oil bath air filter/s to convert ithem to a stainless steel cage which is covered by an oil-soaked sock.

I have changed out the diff centre (from 4.1 to 3.54) in my 53 coupe truck but am yet to do the same with my 52 truck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use