Don't Suck at Parts Ordering Like Me!

FlashBuddy

I'm so bad at this. My recent DCM Classics order has arrived and boy was I excited to see the merchandise; Tail light lens, gaskets, wring connectors and most exciting of all the parking light conversion kit for only sixteen bucks.

Most of it doesn't fit, damit. It's not the fault of DCM Classics, though they could do a better job of illustrating and describing their products. Consider the tail light lens with Dodge script (Part # LE-120). They say: "fits 28-56 tail lights LE-130 & LE 131". Somehow I took that to mean it would fit my '50 Dodge B2B. Not so much. Now'll I'll have to buy the buckets that it will fit on. Heck, I was going to do this anyway in a few months. Didn't want to spend the $200.00 plus dollars it will take over the Christmas/New Years holidaze.

DCM Classics doesn't have a great return policy like Amazon, but then they don't have to when you can't find what DCM sells at Amazon, and for the most part you can't. Here's a snippet of their policy:

If for any reason you are not satisfied with your product, any item that is not exempt from our return policy may be returned within 30 days from the date of purchase for a 100% in store credit. Cash refunds are subject to a 20% res-stocking fee. A Credit Authorization Number must be received prior to returning any equipment by calling our customer support number. All products must be returned in new condition and in their original packaging, including installation manuals to receive a 100% in store credit or 80% cash refund.

I'm not complaining about anything, only whining a bit. OK, so I AM complaining about the dearth of product photos and descriptions. How many have browsed their catalog only to be put off by the big question mark where a photo should be. Take a look at their Head Bolt Set to see what I mean: http://bit.ly/2C02WIa

What are the secrets to finding the right parts. Will I ever have my tail light working again and still have it looking original?

25627188_10212143265961190_1156637246204

25587829_10212143265361175_1555191656399

25627018_10212143265281173_3649655447297

25626218_10212143265401176_3472962591823

25587750_10212143266121194_4141463852203

Those DCM Dodge lenses do look good!

The tail light housings were quite universal back in the day, so you will most likely find that style now in most good old car part places.

I found a stainless steel one and installed it on my 52 truck. I looked into installing a 'DESOTO' lens, but the tail lights are turned sideways on our Oz 'style-side' trucks to cater for the number plate location.

Tail light.JPG

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 1

For some reason at a quick glance when I'm looking up parts I'll quickly see the part priced really high. Then as I scroll on down and look further I see it much much cheaper. When its all said and done, the most expensive part is the one and only one that will work for my application. Then the seller has only one and he is the only seller to have this part. I look at his feedback AFTER my impulse buy and realize he has the worst feedback in ebay. This is why I like buying from people eye to eye and being able to hold the part in my hand and look it over.  I love the swap meets!

• Like 2

OMG @Merle Coggins, so much to learn, and look what I found. Though not as cool as a glass lens with "Dodge":

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Peterson/432000.html

About $12 bucks. Check out how well the product is presented and demonstrated.

Edited by FlashBuddy
Typo
  • Like 1

I thought these were pretty cool, Not original Mopar but Priced pretty good. I had to use my Die grinder and drill press to make them fit the stamped tail light bracket DCM sells.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQCQ9AE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

OMG @Merle Coggins, so much to learn, and look what I found. Though not as cool as a glass lens with "Dodge":

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Peterson/432000.html

About $12 bucks. Check out how well the product is presented and demonstrated.

I ran a set of those on my truck for several years until I finally sprung for the repop units from DCM. I remember only paying $6-8 for them at my local Farm & Fleet store. 

Yeah, I see they range from about $4 - $12. Their drawback seems to be a plastic body. On the upside, the mounting posts and electrical fit my bracket, as does this Amazon $20 light with a steel body:

http://amzn.to/2zoYr4o.

I see where this Amazon light is popular, $30 and while it advertises a 5/8 mounting stud I'm not seeing it. @johnsartain mentioned needing a drill press and die grinder to get it mounted.

Decisions decisions... I may just bite the bullet and pay DCM Classics the $100 or so they are asking, or cheap out for awhile and go to e Trailer for a total of about $12 for two complete lights.

Screenshot_2017-12-24-06-28-12.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-24-06-30-11.jpg

I've found a phone call prior to ordering to discuss what you are looking to do clears up many of the issues you describe.  DCM will talk your ear off if you let them and and really there to help you if you let them.  As Merle said you have a different part than the lens would fit.  SImple miscue on what the parts are.  I find a pretty simple rule is that if it's cheap, it's likely not a repop of an original, but cheap Chinese made more modern parts.

• Thanks 1