R10 OD w/fd bell housing fit 315 hemi

robt

I've found and purchased several R10's over the past year.  The hunt for parts is truly one of the thrills of the hobby for me. (although I'm still a rookie ) I have an R10 complete set-up out of a 55 dodge wagon v-8 car.  It has the long input shaft with the fluid drive bell housing(Although it was not a fluid drive). What was the theory behind keeping the long bell when not needed?  Just to standardize lengths for drive shafts and cross members ?  I had planned on having the transmission converted to a short input shaft and using it on an earlier application.  The bell housing wasn't drilled for both the flathead and v8. 

Since I purchased it, I found and purchased another set-up out of a 55 ply (short bell and input shaft out of a flathead car).  This will be used in my next project. 

I do have a 315 hemi out of a 1959 truck.  Will the long bell and input shaft from the 55 dodge bolt up to the 315 hemi?  I'm thinking it should but not sure.    I can't get at the hemi right now to try the fit but would like to confirm the fit either way.  Should it not I'll probably sell it.

thanks Rob

Yes, on the extended housing. It is the same length as the BW R 10 overdrive. However, I just read the because . . . The convertible and the suburban are somewhat different, I don't recall why. 

I just reread  your post and see you are not working with the flathead six, so my comment possibly does not apply to your question.

Edited by pflaming

Thanks for the reply.  I bought the 315 hemi 25 years ago. It is complete minus a starter. It has a bell housing that appears to be from a later Mopar.  We must have tried  6 or 8 starters that were on the shelf but nothing seemed to fit.  Now I'm pretty excited to try it with the 55 dodge bell and starter.  I'll plan on swapping out the fly wheel with the 55  as well.  I'm pretty sure I read that the tooth count had changed around 57.    It will be a project for the spring...guess I'll just have to hang on to the transmission until I see if hemi is a runner or not.

Thanks Rob

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

Yes, on the extended housing. It is the same length as the BW R 10 overdrive. However, I just read the because . . . The convertible and the suburban are somewhat different, I don't recall why. 

I just reread  your post and see you are not working with the flathead six, so my comment possibly does not apply to your question.

I know why,to keep you on your toes,that's why.

4 hours ago, robt said:

Thanks for the reply.  I bought the 315 hemi 25 years ago. It is complete minus a starter. It has a bell housing that appears to be from a later Mopar.  We must have tried  6 or 8 starters that were on the shelf but nothing seemed to fit.  Now I'm pretty excited to try it with the 55 dodge bell and starter.  I'll plan on swapping out the fly wheel with the 55  as well.  I'm pretty sure I read that the tooth count had changed around 57.    It will be a project for the spring...guess I'll just have to hang on to the transmission until I see if hemi is a runner or not.

Thanks Rob

Good luck with you hemi and keep us posted. Do a really good prime on that engine before you start rolling it.

I didnt realize the R10 was an option behind a poly or a hemi. I have an R10 and didnt think it would stand up to my 325.