Securing a vintage license plate from theft

WarriorDog

Any ideas on how to secure a vintage license plate on the truck to prevent someone from stealing it?  I purchased a 1950 Tennessee tag, that happens to be from my county, and will run this tag on my truck.  Tennessee allows you to register an old tag to the current "Antique vehicle" tag.  You can put the vintage tag on the vehicle and carry the newly issued "Antique Vehicle" tag in the cab.  The vintage tag has to be from the same year as your truck model year.  I want to run this tag but need a way to mount it securely so it can't be stolen.   Here's some examples from Ebay pics.  

Also, does any one know of a vendor that will refurbish an old tag?  I Probably won't have it refurbished and just leave it original as it's in pretty good shape.  

s-l64.jpg

Vintage tag.jpg

s-l200.jpg

Contact Lee Lawson in Arkansas.   leelawson1374@att.net.   He is quick and does excellent license restoration. 

You could use these:  https://www.amazon.com/Bell-22-1-45915-8-Anti-Theft-License-Fastener/dp/B000SOM9GQ  or any standard tamper proof hardware like you see in various store restroom stalls.

Edited by lonejacklarry

Not sure about other states but in Florida the state does not accept restored plates or plates with excessive rust. However, acceptance is based on the judgment of the official reviewing your plate. Check the laws in your state before you invest in a plate. Just an FYI.

After looking at the picture of the tamper resistance bolts, if you used a good vise grip pliers on the from cone on the edge then the back nut could be just removed with a regular socket or open end or box end wrench.  Not fully tamper proof.  But I have never had anyone try to remove my 1939 Pa Plate and i have had the plate on the car for 20+ years.

In the state of PA you can register the Year of Manufacturer plate and also need to have the antique plate in the truck. Costs extra to use a year of manufacturer plate.

Rich Hartung

Hey, Colorado let's you use vintage plates too, but they couldn't find a hit in the system on my vintage plate so suggested I opt for the "Horseless Carriage Plat at $12/year. I said: "OK" :rolleyes:

My son and I were talking about porch package thiefs and those who might steal a part off of Roxanne just last nigh. After a couple of Odell's IPA brews, he thought having a bomb explode upon theft would serve notice while providing "notice" to those so inclined. (the suvivors) :D

• Like 1

Went to the Alaska DMV yesterday to register the coupe with an original 1947 license plate. Before I went I phoned and was told that I had to have a front plate. In 47 they only made one plate and it was made out of soy.  I came up with the bright idea to make one out of an old clipboard. It looks similar to the soyboard but stronger. I had a sign maker paint it and digitally reproduce the lettering and numbers. The very nice lady that I dealt with at the DMV told me that the oldest plate that they had codes for was 69 and that replica plates were not allowed.  When I told her that they only made one plate per car for 47 she went to her supervisor.  They called the DMV director, who looked at photos of the replica and original and said do it.  He'd personally put a note in my file saying that he authorized it.  They also phoned the main DMV to get a code to enter the year in the computer.  While I was there I permanently registered it for an additional $30.  That way I will not face a hassle in the future.  

IMG_1713.jpg.e64d29b1c5858204f77218e87dcb784d.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg.b8c37bb564f0dc9b8001498bc170541e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

A forum member (who is no longer active) refurbished this pair of tags for me a few years back. As far as security you could rivet the tag to the bracket but this will only keep honest people from stealing the tag.

Tags1.jpg

Living in Memphis? I was lucky to stumble on one from Hamilton County AND it's a truck tag, too.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarriorDog said:

Living in Memphis? I was lucky to stumble on one from Hamilton County AND it's a truck tag, too.   

I no longer live in Tennessee so I do not use these tags. When I did it was in Murfreesboro. I now live in Indiana and use the pictured tags.

001_6.jpg

15 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

After looking at the picture of the tamper resistance bolts, if you used a good vise grip pliers on the from cone on the edge then the back nut could be just removed with a regular socket or open end or box end wrench.  Not fully tamper proof. 

It is harder than you think.  I've used a set of these on my '55 Chevy for 10+ years and it is nearly impossible to get the fastener off with pliers, vise grips, etc.

On the other hand you could weld a 1/2 rebar cage around the plate with welded fasteners to the bumper which would be welded to the frame and then it still would not be 100% theft proof. 

You have to stop somewhere.