Assigning a value to a Pilot House

RonaldC

So Curious, how do you place a value on your Pilot House? Recognizing everything is worth what someone is willing to pay, but come on. What is fair and realistic?

So I have this 51. And really, it is about as clean and original as you can get without a frame off resto. And just to satisfy the would be ask-ers, While I think the truck is GREAT, I think I may want something that will run a little quicker down the road. And If you are going to molest a Pilot House, fitting it up with V8 and the proper front end support, I don't think this is the one to cut on. Just way to "kept" for a would be hack job, I have one beside the barn that I will feel much better about. So, to my point. How much is one worth if wanting to sell?

Just curious how to determine pricing for older trucks.....

Thoughts?

51 Dodge_1.jpg

1951 Ebay 15.jpg

1951 Ebay 20.jpg

I have been asking myself that same question I wish I had an answer for you but you have to keep that truck it's too nice to sell.. I have not seen what they are selling for but I wouldnt sell that one for under 10 grand I  like it that much.   put it up for auction you will find what people think it is worth.  neil

Thank you sir! It is nice for sure. But it has flaws as well, just not a lot.

So you see my dilemma. Being an avid Dodge fan, I cant bring myself to do much more to this truck than drive it. I did change it over to 12 volt, but that is really the only mods made to it. 

I had the same idea about the auction. Of course then I may be forced to sell it!

Auctions are pretty fickle and IMO don’t represent the value of much, they can go either way, all it takes is poor marketing and nobody shows and value is low, or two people with more money then brains duke it out and go way high, I witnessed this a couple of summers ago on a 67 Dodge 1/2 ton selling for $25,000 bone stock with a seized motor and needing a complete resto.

Look around online, you will see a general selection of trucks, best way to value something...sell it, but start high. You can always come down on price, can’t go back up after.

I like to play "what's it worth" in my spare time. We have all seen the 50k listings and even the 15k listings for serious junk. But they never sell. What is selling right now in Dodge is 10 to 15k decent quality trucks. As you mentioned, there are a lot of factors to selling - how badly seller needs to sell, how badly the buyer wants the truck, even geography plays a key role. IMHO, if you need to sell, start at 15k and expect a little less. If you don't need to sell, don't. These trucks are starting to increase in value with the rest of the truck craze, and the good ones are getting harder to find.

Thanks Blue. This is in the area I was kind of thinking. And too, I may end up selling it just to make room for another Dodge project i have. I like most, have an idea in mind of what it worth, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder too. And most people that you ask will tell you it is worth "all you can get". But that really doesn't tell you anything. Haggerty will tell you it is in the 15k - 18k range. And that actually sounds about right to me. But perception can again be obscured by the previous mentioned mind set too. But I do think you are correct in that the pricing does seem to be on the rise. And I think that is due in part to EVERYONE has a 50's Chevy and Ford truck. Not many of the Pilot house out there.

So in the end, if I move on selling it, I think I will likely take the advise of listing it at what I think its worth, and settle for the minimum I think i can live with. And if it doesn't sell, it looks just fine to me in my garage....

Thanks for the feedback.

if you want to know the value,  ebay with a 25000 reserve, run ad  as long as possible.. the people that are looking are alway looking and ebay covers a lot of area..and you don't have to sale... ad is just a few bucks.  if  bids  are low, wait 6 months   run it again..  I won't take less than 14000 the two color will knock value a little.   nice clean truck.  

I like it - and its a tough question as to what it might be worth - I have seen them sell all over the map like many suggest. I can tell you that I have been watching the prices around the country on Craigslist and Ebay for the last year and my knee jerk reaction  is that you probably have a 10-12K truck. Obviously I don't know any details other than the pictures you posted, but that would be my guess. More pictures and info would help narrow it down. You do have a nice exterior - a very clean and maintained/updated interior, and probably a mechanically sound drive line.

you've got a nice truck, it's worth IMO 10k-ish.  Why?

2 tone (obvious repaint)

a few nice options (ash/lighter)

wrong mirrors

wrong horns

wrong wheels

not a 5 window

But that's me looking at it from a resto perspective.  from a resto-mod view you can easily add a few k.

@Los, insurance I am guessing would go off of some type of book value. Nada has it on the low side at $11K, middle ground around $23k.

@ggdad1951 all these things are true. But I have the OEM mirrors. They take the wow factor down about 20 points, as well as the value of the truck...

7 hours ago, RonaldC said:

All these things are true. But I have the OEM mirrors. They take the wow factor down about 20 points, as well as the value of the truck...

I respectfully disagree, the correct set-up doesn't lower the the vehicles points. It may increase the wow factor to those who don't know the old trucks as well as others,

but I can see it from your perspective. Since You asked.....and are attempting to work on another PH.....I would say 10 grand is the high side of the price range if it doesn't run strong.

If it purrs, rides well, doesn't have excessive body rot, has working gauges, working lights, good tires, above avg glass......its a steal at 10 grand.

This is my opinion, without examination and few pictures.

Welcome to the site Ron. :)

48D

13 hours ago, RonaldC said:

@Los, insurance I am guessing would go off of some type of book value. Nada has it on the low side at $11K, middle ground around $23k.

@ggdad1951 all these things are true. But I have the OEM mirrors. They take the wow factor down about 20 points, as well as the value of the truck...

well if you ever want to get rid of 'em I know a few people... 

:P

@48, I must admit, I can not definitively say they are the OEM mirrors. However, I was provided a picture of the 2nd owner pushing/loading it out of a barn, and the mirrors where on it then. My assumption is they are correct given he had parked it in there some 30 years earlier.

As far as the integrity of the truck, I have replaced the fuel tank and sending unit, the water pump, converted to 12v (still have generator and coil), put a slightly higher rated coil when changed it over, new battery, new wiring in and out, front to back. wheels and tires, and head/tail lights. The truck starts on cue with the push of the floor stomp every time. I drive it back and forth to get Ice cream and check the mail pretty regular. 3 on the tree and and runs, shifts, stops just fine. All the glass is in great shape. Just a sound old truck, but it IS 66 YEARS OLD, so as expected, it isnt perfect, but real darn close.

What it needs? 12 volt wiper motor, heater and fuel gauge hooked up (both worked just fine on 6v), wood in bed. And honestly if I was feeling really ambitious I would replace both the front fenders. The only location with rust on this truck is the same as everyone of these B series, where the front fenders bolts to the body.

In the end, the thing is the truck is by far in better shape than any of the others I have found, excluding the frame offs and the extreme outliers of course. And it absolutely serves its purpose: I am a HUGE Dodge fan so obvious choice for a truck here, I would say it is very reliable, not that I would drive it out of state, and it is a total blast to drive around town with my kids/grand kids. But the one thing it doesn't do is satisfy my need for speed (i.e. Hot Rod). Hense the other 51project I have in the barn just waiting for me to open my check book!

Thank for the feedback. Attached an "as found" picture of it for you as well.....

side.png

To give you more info to work with:

It has a rear bumper, that is rare to find (if its an original dodge bumper)

Not sure what the badge is on the fender, that looks like its from a C series truck (this one is a B series).

Its a low side bed, which can be a big plus, thou many like the high side beds. The low sides can be hard to find in good shape.

The low side bed tailgates are very hard to find in great shape.

The side mirror is one of two different styles. Yours is an extension type version (not an official description, lol)

The stamped steel arm and round mirror is more common in a half ton.

This truck, if it's a half ton, shouldn't have roof lights.....

Those are just my quick observations and could be things someone might bring up when deciding how much to pay for your truck. Long as one is

aware of what they have, they have the option to be truthful and speak intelligently about their truck. Some buyers don't want that information, and just know they want your truck!

The more pictures you post, the more helpful we can be. I would suggest a picture of:

The driver side door info badge (inside the door jam)

the engine block numbers (is it a 218, 230, etc )

the frame numbers (drivers side front fork)

under dash (to see the wires, etc)

lower edges of the rear side of the cab (common rot area)

suspension hangers (to see the wear of bushings)

and the inside of the bed (wood rot, rail rot, damage etc)

We all definitely love these trucks, otherwise we all wouldn't be here...lol, but it will help you understand better what we think of the condition of your truck, if you share what you can.

This in the end will make your sales experience go much more smoothly in my opinion because your buyer will see you as very knowledgeable about what your selling him.

You have some great history right there, nothing to apologizes for in my opinion! 

48D

Would love to share more pics, but the site is advising me I can not upload any more due to capacity(?) But couple things about what you mentioned above.

So yep, truck is 1/2 ton, so where the marker lights came from is a mystery, unlike where they went. As far as I can tell, the bumper is OEM, as well as the spare tire hanger underneath.

I personally prefer low side (in fact I now have 2 of them). My Father in law has a 49' 5 window, high side, bought right of the lot here locally by his grandfather. And while it is nice, its not so much for me. I am more low, sporty, a not to much glass. The Door badge confirms B3B, 108" wheelbase, serial # 85311090, 97/86 horse (gross/net respectfully). I am assuming motor is original based on feedback from previous owner, and it matches numbers on the title. You are also correct about the "D100" fender badges (as you stated), they are for a D100, not a Pilothouse B series. But given how thin the metal is at that location, I think they were applied as a cosmetic repair. Wiring under the dash is nice and tight, loomed and tied. I do not like clutter and partial installs. Do it right, do it once! With regard to the cab corners, you clearly have seen a few of these to know to mention that. I too have seen this issue, but not on this one, clean as a whistle. I will go out on a hunch here and mention the fuel tank before you ask. As you may well know, Tanks does not offer a factory fit for these trucks. Close yes, but not exact. The fill neck is wrong, which tends to lead people to hack the cab to make it fit. NO SIR! Not me, not happening. So I had a local machine shop fab a spacer to raise it accordingly. In another post, I shared some photos for a guy in a desperate plea to stop him from cutting the cab on his truck. May be able to find if interested. Suspension hangers probably should be replaced just out of age and principal. Nothing coming apart but they are rather dry and brittle I am sure. As far the bed, yeah, it needs to be reworked for sure. That is more less the point I'm at now. Where is that starting (or better said stopping) point? Do the bed? Well you need to do the paint/body work on the bed 1st. If your going to do that, then you need to...... See where I am going? I am that guy that makes a simple bed install turn into a frame off resto. So for now, I drive it. As is. And have a great time doing it. But I also like to protect my investment. So I make sure no leaks, everything works, doesn't sit in the weather. Even the wiring was preventative as they were brittle and (to me) a fire hazard waiting to happen.

So all told, the truck is great, drive-able, and a lot of fun. And if someone wanted a complete truck that required little, or even nothing, to enjoy, its probably this one. For the guy building a hot rod, its not this one. There are several laying in a bone yard that are far better suited for that. This one is a great truck that needs to be refreshed, not refurbished......

I know geography makes a difference But I don’t believe you would get even  $7,000 in Wisconsin. No corner windows is a huge negative in my opinion. Looks nice and solid though.  

Just being honest - with the new pictures - the condition of the wood bed, the bend grill pieces, the fenders with the typical cancer covered up by some sort of badges, etc..... I'd lower my earlier estimate.  Running/driving reliably and a good interior do help it though.