Edgy

Douglas

19 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

More like it wont idle well at said RPM, but it will not sound like a 427 Rat Motor with Bada$$ cam

And nothin that sounds like a 427 with a bada$$ cam other than a 427 with a bada$$ cam. Music to the ears 

4 minutes ago, Branded said:

And nothin that sounds like a 427 with a bada$$ cam other than a 427 with a bada$$ cam. Music to the ears 

But a 392/426 Chrysler Hemi or a Chrysler 440 6 pack, more in line with my preference in "music".....

If you want it to sound 'lumpy' at idle, just turn your distributor clockwise a few degrees...:)

And it doesn't cost much.

1 hour ago, Branded said:

Close,but no cigar. Ain't NOTHING sounds nastier than a Max Wedge Mopar.

Hot Y-block Fords do come close,though. They just don't make the ground shake as they idle past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What RPM do you want it to idle at?  The one in my A idled under 500.  In my 54 is a cam reground by Crower ,and it idles nicely around the same range.

2 hours ago, bones44 said:

This is my Edgy motor, head, intake, side covers, and cam(260 with 410) with Langton's carter webers carbs. Purrs like a kitten.

DSCN0975.JPG

.410 lift is still pretty mild, so yes should idle well at a decent RPM.

1 hour ago, moose said:

What RPM do you want it to idle at?  The one in my A idled under 500.  In my 54 is a cam reground by Crower ,and it idles nicely around the same range.

Moose I agree if the cam is not too aggressive, its when they get a little "hairy" idles need to be higher. 

I’ve got a 44-3/4 grind Isky cam in my IND-7(236). The block has been ported, statically balanced and I’m running the OEM 1 barrel carb set up with a ‘41 Chrysler Spitfire head that’s been decked just a smoosh. It idles very smooth and has good torque. 

On 12/20/2017 at 11:27 AM, Los_Control said:

Anyone try this? I mean I cant just walk into napa and buy a performance cam for my flathead 218.

Thought about sending one off to have it reground to a performance spec. And edgy comes to mind.

Any thoughts on this? Is it worth it, will they still idle ... not about going fast, just sounding good along the way.

When I called Earl several years ago he was just getting into Mopars. I think that was 1999.    He later did a head which I bought and it overheated.  I asked about cam specs but he wouldnt really give me the specs.  I ran into George Asche and Tim Kingsbury are Chrysler Carlisle and they  had many cam patterns, including  Esky patterns as well as custom grinds only they had. I asked for specs and they handed me over all of the specs for any cam.   Whether Earl came up with more than 1 design I have no idea, but what I do know is the Asche's and Kingsbury family has been doing this for  not a decade or two but over 50 years. If you want a cam, id strongly suggest getting in touch with them. There is my two cents.   

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 4:24 PM, Branded said:

I just installed a reground cam that I sent off to Earl Edgerton. I'm doing a complete rebuild on my 230.  He recommended 260 duration @ .410 lift.  It's a mild cam but really wakes the engine up. He also refaced my tappets. 

Thats far from mild given that engine was .375 lift.  .410 is a pretty high lift cam.  I am not suggesting its not a good grind. That is an Esky stock car cam. I am just saying that is not a mild cam.

.040 overbore , Fenton type split exhaust, dual weber carbs,  edgy head, offy intake, electric overdrive ..... Runs quite well and get 20 miles to the gallon !

image.jpg