Need transmission info

Jj1981

A friend of mine has bought a farm recently with a bunch of old dodge trucks from 40s to 60s and a school bus full of motors and transmissions. I am going to go look for a floor mount transmission .i am needing pics of what transmissions will  fit on my 218 thanks 

Please, ask your friend if he would be interested in helping your fellow Blogger, (Charlie Stephenson 5152767877/50310-2660) in completing his collection of Chrysler Molly block engines.  I have all but a 413.16,  Engine Code number T 325 and a  M49-3.  Thank You for your consideration. Charlie Stephenson

11 hours ago, Jj1981 said:

A friend of mine has bought a farm recently with a bunch of old dodge trucks from 40s to 60s and a school bus full of motors and transmissions. I am going to go look for a floor mount transmission .i am needing pics of what transmissions will  fit on my 218 thanks 

If you would, please let me know if he is selling anything with a solid body. Also, if he plans to part out. Thanks.

Easy way to tell a non-synchro. post war 4speed tranny from a synchro.(3rd and 4th gear) tranny is to look at the filler plug. A NS tranny will have the drain plug at a 45 degree or so at the bottom of the case. A Synchro. tranny will have the drain plug at the bottom rear of the case and it will be in a horizontal position. The bellhousings changed around 1955. Up to 1955 the transmission mounting bolt holes were offset on one side. They were not parallel to the opposite side. The 1955 and later bellhousing has the holes parallel to each other. So a 1955 or later transmission will not bolt up to a 1954 and earlier bellhousing. This is for the civilian trucks.  I believe the Military M-37 4x4  truck used the earlier bellhousing throughout it’s production run. I could be wrong on that though. Food for thought. 

• Like 1

Make a template of the 4 bolt holes in the bell housing where the transmission mounts.  A 3 speed will have almost equidistant horizontal spacing while the 4 speed will be wider (I think in the bottom).   Each requires its own specific bell housing or a redrilling/tapping of the mounting holes.

I need parts for my NP540  5 speed.  They came in 56 and up trucks.  Mine has a broken top cover, I got it out of a 1956 2 Ton....

Thank you and I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas. :)

On 12/22/2017 at 12:24 PM, Dozerman51 said:

Easy way to tell a non-synchro. post war 4speed tranny from a synchro.(3rd and 4th gear) tranny is to look at the filler plug. A NS tranny will have the drain plug at a 45 degree or so at the bottom of the case. A Synchro. tranny will have the drain plug at the bottom rear of the case and it will be in a horizontal position. The bellhousings changed around 1955. Up to 1955 the transmission mounting bolt holes were offset on one side. They were not parallel to the opposite side. The 1955 and later bellhousing has the holes parallel to each other. So a 1955 or later transmission will not bolt up to a 1954 and earlier bellhousing. This is for the civilian trucks.  I believe the Military M-37 4x4  truck used the earlier bellhousing throughout it’s production run. I could be wrong on that though. Food for thought. 

Early Synchro Trans with PTO. Replaced by NP420 in 1954

miltrans.jpg

Edited by just me
add pic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:14 AM, tanda62 said:

The four speed pictured here for my 53 B4C is casting number C88221.  It apparently is also the transmission used in M37 military trucks of the same period (at least it uses the same gaskets).  Hope this helps and happy hunting.

trans with paint and gaskets.gif

Hi, sorry to jump in the middle of this thread, but I had a quick question about the transmission in your photo.

I’m helping my neighbor with his 49 truck which has the same transmission. I took the transmission cover off to get the motor out the truck (I know know I could have done that differently) but I can’t seem to get it to shift through the gears; it’s stuck in neutral.

I think I reinstalled the cover incorrectly.

Also, when the cover was off it didn’t feel like the shifter/cover had the full range of movement. I was hoping that it would free up when installed it on the transmission but no luck.

Are there any tricks to reinstalling the cover on that transmission?

Thanks!