rubber cowl lacing example pics / anybody used this

3046moparcoupe

At present I've got a roll of the black fabric style cowl lacing that I believe I got from AB a year or so back, the type that has the groove down the center for your attaching screws, rivets, etc...looks quite a bit like the original stuff,....anyway - I've read on here where it is more aggressive in rubbing the paint off the underneath side of your hood....and just feeling the stuff I can see where that would make sense as it's somewhat coarse and has that fabric grain structure to it...at present there are 2ea rubber cowl lacing kits available on ebay...I just sent one of the ebay seller's "Mac's" a message asking for dimensions (width/length, height) and also since it's made out of solid rubber, I also asked about the density of the rubber itself, noting that I didn't believe the super dense rubber (like stuff that Steele sells) would be the route I wanted to go, since this stuff doesn't really get exposed to UV, and I don't want it to cause me issues being so proud that the hood doesn't want to align or lay down properly....the second seller is out of Oklahoma City, something like Classic Industry's, anyway - I will call them tomorrow and get dimensions, but this lacing is designed more like the original fabric stuff I have in hand, however both raised sides of the lacing are hollow....I'm thinking that might work well, in regards to both things: 1: doing the least damage to the under hood paint as possible, and 2: allowing the lacing to seal yet not interfere with the hood to cowl alignment......

see 2ea pics attached.

anyone out there have any experience with either of these rubber cowl vent lacing products, on a P15 ?

Thanks again

Steve

cowl lacing #2.jpg

cowl lacing.jpg

Since I wasn’t performing a points-important restoration, I use what works, and is relatively inexpensive, rather than the exact restoration item. So, I used some generic stuff that I got from Wichita Trimming, Wichita, Kansas. It has a rectangular cross-section (no indentation in the center), and it was self-adhesive on the back, so installing was simple. It may, or may not, be acceptable for you, dependent upon the degree of originality you’re after. Regards . . . . .

• Thanks 1

No I'm not concerned with a points scoring restoration, I want what works best in regards to form, fit and function....self adhesive sounds really nice, as long as it holds, (no rivets or screw heads protruding up too high to have to contend with), but then of it sticks to the paint that well - it better be good lasting stuff or what happens when you have to remove it to replace it down the line ?  I wonder ?? You got a part number or a part description ? Thanks for your reply ?

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

Check this out!  CLICK!

It's a weatherstripping for Windows and doors, sold online and home centers. It comes I various thicknesses, looks similar to original (two beads separated by a space and its brown) self adhesive and cheap.

I may be way out of line suggesting this but who knows, maybe it will help.

Greg

519w8-KRw8L._SY400_.jpg

41avFLTi84L._SY400_.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
  • Thanks 1

Thxs Dr. great response back, I appreciate it....

Your reply about having to replace and taking some paint with it does make sense to me,  (sometimes you can't sweat every detail ) and if the weatherstrip was good enough quality to last a number of years.....(In other words - great glue that holds well , but weatherstrip that tears or dis-integrates in a few years would be a head-ache)...everyone's idea of what works well is gonna be different,...and have seen new paint that you couldn't poll off with Gorilla Duct tape, and new paint that you could pull of with light tack masking tape,..so there are so many variables involved,....part of my questioning allows me to determine what the person's mindset is in regards to variables like this...again I appreciate the recommendation, it gives me an option, bottom line - I probably need to get a piece of the stuff and test it out to see if it's gonna work for me...

2 hours ago, 3046moparcoupe said:

Greg13, Me like'e..:)    thanks, I'll check it out...""have you used the double bead on anything, did it stick well and stay in place ? "

I have used this exact rubber seal on parts like fender skirts. It worked fine and stuck in place. The fact that the seal is hollow makes it a little more prone to tearing though.

I also use it for mounting spoilers to trunk lids where I don't want water getting under the spoiler and leaking through the bolt holes. In this situation it never gets moved except for repairs or something.

Overall, it is cheap but not useless. I have removed it with a heat gun to help soften the glue with no paint removal on properly painted surfaces. If the paint is old or flakey then who knows. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by Gregarious13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used a universal rubber cowl seal. I got mine from soffseal.com which is similar to this picture I got from mac's antique auto parts online. The softseal catalog was a bit big and I did want to search it to far, but give you a idea of an automotive type stick on cowl seals out there.

-cowl seal-universal.jpg

• Thanks 1

I appreciate all the great reply's back from folks - this is a great forum, here's a little additional input I've also picked up since I made the original post: regarding the first two cowl lacing products I initially was asking about,

1: the 1st cowl lacing image which has the groove in the middle and is solid rubber on each side - Mac's replied back and said the kit comes in 8' length, and the rubber itself is .598" W  (about 5/8" wide) and .176" H (about 3/16" thick),......this is a bit narrower than the stock fiber type replacement lacing cord I have which is 3/4" wide but is about spot on the same in height)...this kit also comes with 30ea #6 x 3/8 black screws.

2: the 2nd cowl lacing image which also has the groove in the middle and has hollow tube rubber on each side - I contacted the Oklahoma company via telephone and an employee was good enough to go grab one and physically measure it for me, he gave me the following dimensions: 3/4" wide (a match for the oem replacement fiber type lacing) and 3/8" thick ??  (I questioned him on the thickness, saying that's almost 1/2" thick, are you sure (thinking he was confusing 3/16" with 3/8" and he confirmed back - no it's 3/8" thick), at that point I asked if he could collapse it with his fingers and measure it collapsed down, he said it was pretty firm stuff and didn't collapse down a lot when he compressed it,.....so if that's true, this lacing cord would be way too thick to use for a replacement on a P15,.....

reply back on second type of lacing cord doesn't seem to make sense as both types are listed for the same application "47 Ford pickup truck"...?? !!  I can't help but think there is a form of human error happening here in this reply...

Seems like there's always some little bit of friction in the equation when trying to resolve something - I'm reminded of the old saying: "Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we've been screwed,...:)

Oh well, I suppose if we're too easy , it wouldn't be any fun...

Steve