Help locked out

garyanna2

I parked out front of the house. pulled back on the handel and got out. Went to lock door and it was locked already. Later could not open door the lock turns but does not open the door. The lock is off some junkyard find my cousin put in Wow  i am a block head. HELP!

OMG I thought this might happen to me. I read the driver's door can only be locked from the inside. I guess that was a lie.

You see, I was freaking out because I was able to lock the passenger door from the outside with the key, but it wouldn't unlock from the outside! I tried wiggling, jiggling and for three weeks, nothing. Then one cold fall morning it worked! The key turned and the door unlocked.

I'll never lock that door again, unless with some certainty I can get it re-keyed to where it works at least 99.9% of the time.

Getting into my truck if I were to get lock out would be easy. The drivers door locks from the inside as it should but as it turns out the mechanism has just enough wear in it so that if I work the outside handle lightly 9 or 10 times just like I was going to open it normally it will unlock by itself. At first it drove me crazy. I always keep it locked... always ! Then every once in a while over a week or two I would check it out of habit and it would be unlocked. After a while I put two and two together and figured out that I was only finding it unlocked after I had been working some high spots and doing the bodywork the roof , left and right fender . So I did some light tapping on the door with the large smooth face body hammer as I watched and after a bit, little by little the inside door handle dropped from its locked position. Sure enough the blows of the hammer were unlocking it after a while. For while I thought I was losing my mind or it might have been possessed  :)   Anyway, You might give it a try, it couldn't hurt.

John 

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 2

a proper working passenger door side latch mechanism will not let you close the door if it is locked.  If you can close the door while it is set in the "lock" position, you have worn parts that need attention.

As for getting in:  a wire passed up thru the floor boards by the pedals to pull the driver handle down to "unlock" works well...you just need 2 people to do it.  A driver and a directions one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks i was just thinking and it came to me that the battery box in ol rufus is not a closed box only partly closed. From under the truck i used a stick to push the floor pan over the battery and used a hanger to reach door handle and pulled the door open. WOW that was a close one. So remember that if your truck does not have a full battery tray this works very well. Thanks for the help.