fuel mileage

Plymouthy Adams

just 210 miles round trip.....18 foot trailer...my son's truck gets awesome mileage and then I got to add I get gas for 1.13 a gallon....still, 19.0 MPG is great towing mileage...and we cruised at interstate speed which is greater than normal when in Atlanta....lol

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

retrieved a car from downtown Atlanta this morning....round trip, 12.40 cents in gasoline.....don't get much better than this.....:D

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

just 210 miles round trip.....18 foot trailer...my son's truck gets awesome mileage and then I got to add I get gas for 1.13 a gallon....still, 19.0 MPG is great towing mileage...and we cruised at interstate speed which is greater than normal when in Atlanta....lol

Looks like you slipped up a couple orders of magnitude, should have been $12.40 (though 210 miles @ 19.0 miles/gal and $1.13/gal works out to $12.49 not $12.40 by my calculator).

Only have 550 miles on my new car with about 1/3 tank still showing on the fill the dealer did when they handed it over to me. I guess I'll see how much of the specified 11.4 gal it will take whenever it gets low enough to put some gas in. 

thanks for keeping me honest....I did not use a calculator...got that there fuzzy math from the slide rule between the ears......lol  but..close enough..

the new cars truly do get some great mileage....and performance on demand....his truck has runs twin turbos.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

thanks for keeping me honest....I did not use a calculator...got that there fuzzy math from the slide rule between the ears......lol  but..close enough..

the new cars truly do get some great mileage....and performance on demand....his truck has runs twin turbos.....

I think I was the last class out of college where most of the engineering students still used slide rules. A couple of the rich kids got the HP35 scientific calculator which came out around senior year but most of us couldn't afford one. After I graduated TI came out with cheaper scientific calculators and the slide rule became a beauty of a bygone era.

Nice thing about a slide rule is it kept you honest about tracking the power of 10 in your head. Nowadays people just assume the number coming out of the machine must be right even if the result is obviously off by a factor of 10 or 100.

The problem with getting nearly 500 miles on a tank is that my bladder only has about 180 mile range so gotta stop either way, so no time gained in the equation.  Our 2016 Accord gets just about 40 mpg on long highway runs.  Drops about 3 mpg with the "winter blend" swill they start selling here end of August, beginning of Sept.

• Haha 1