Hub cap sizes

MarkAubuchon

26 minutes ago, MarkAubuchon said:

47 P15 Sedan, going to replace the skinny 16" wheels with a set of original 15".  Will the hub caps I have on my 16 fit the 15?

First you need to tell people what wheels and hubcaps you  have on your car.

Photos would be a big help,since most of these cars have had the wheels and tires changed over the last 4 or 5 decades.

2 hours ago, MarkAubuchon said:

47 P15 Sedan, going to replace the skinny 16" wheels with a set of original 15".  Will the hub caps I have on my 16 fit the 15?

my question is the 600x16  or 600x15.  I would assume that the skinny tires would basically be the same width unless you are going with a wider width tire and possibly going to radials instead of bias ply?  Is the total cost worth the investment and ae you doing this for better handling becasue the tires that you have on the car now need replacement. Just asking.  Becareful of the setback distance if changing to a non mopar rim or modern rim.

According to my ATLAS cross reference tire booklet they chnaged to 15 inch rims in 48 and the tire sixe went from 600x16 to 6.70x15 not that much wider but if you have the rims and need tires then I can see why you might want to chnage. This will also chnage the reading on you speedometer. Suggest that you take your GPS and put it in you car after the change to see how the MPH changes with the new tires and rims so you can verify your speedometer reading so you do not get any tickets.

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939

21 minutes ago, MarkAubuchon said:

thanks Ed,  why the difference?  Im assuming the larger cap is for the special delux? 

The 10 inch cap and the 9 inch cap fit the center of the wheels the same but the 10 inch wheel is a bit larger so that the full trim ring will fit beneath the cap and be held flush to the rim by the cap itself...the 9 inch are your basic poverty cap.  

If I remember correctly, I’ve read something about this. I reviewed a tire chart, and the 600x16, and the 670x15, have a very similar diameter, and circumference. Further, they both have an aspect ratio somewhere between 80-90. When Chrysler went to smaller wheels, to keep the speedometer accurate, they just went to a larger diameter tire, to compensate for the smaller wheel. A 600x16 is equivalent to a contemporary 185/R70x15, while the 670x15 is equivalent to a contemporary 205/R75x15. Hope this is helpful. Regards . . .

• Like 1

You are speaking of diameter equivalents?  I had a set of 205-75 15 on my car and the speedo was off by 10 mph.  Switched the rears to 225's and got 7 mph back so the 205's are short. The 225's have a diameter 0f 28.3.  Do you have the diameter for the 6.70 15's?

Edited by greg g

50 minutes ago, greg g said:

You are speaking of diameter equivalents?  I had a set of 205-75 17 on my car and the sp3do was off by 10 mph.  Switched the rears to 225's and got 7 mph back so the 205's are short. The 225's have a diameter 0f 28.3.  Do you have the diameter for the 6.70 15's?

Greg,was that a typo and you meant 205/75R/15 instead of 17?

Greg G,

Hey, sorry about the lengthy delay, I didn’t forget to reply to you, but I finally found the information I was looking for pertaining to tire size/diameter/circumference: 205/75R15  diameter: 27.11”  circumference: 85.16”  width: 8.1.  This appears to be the dimensions of the 600x16 tire (±1/10”), as well as the 670x15 tire. Hope this helps. Regards . . .

P.S.

Those statistics are for the tire deflated. Also, the width of the rim will have an effect on the diameter of the tire—a wider rim will allow the tire’s beads to be farther apart, thus decreasing the tire’s diameter, and consequently—the circumference, as well.

Edited by DrDoctor