Recycling?

Flatie46

nothing like having a friend running a oil burner for a shop heater, or maybe heating your own shop with used oil.

Just a shame to pour it on the ground and waste it.

Cousin runs a oil burner and he dropped a 55 gallon barrel at the shop for us to dump oil in, when full we call him and he comes pick it up.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, Todd B said:

I had a friend who would dump it along his garage foundation. Claimed it would stop the frost from lifting his foundation in the winter. 

it will keep the weeds down tho...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ya just flush and breakdown the oil in the hole with your used antifreeze. Alls good!  :eek:

dj

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 7:08 AM, lonejacklarry said:

Well, after all, the oil came from the ground originally, did it not?

Yes, along with uranium and asbestos.  Plus used motor oil has other toxic constituents in it.  I'm pretty sure the original post was a joke to show stupid methods of the past.  In my line of work, I regularly deal with properties that are contaminated by this sort of thing.  It is usually on a much larger scale, but we have dealt with residences as well.  It's really pennywise and pound foolish to get rid of oil this way.  It costs many thousands to excavate contaminated soil and many more thousands if it gets in the groundwater.

3 hours ago, jcmiller said:

Yes, along with uranium and asbestos.  Plus used motor oil has other toxic constituents in it.  I'm pretty sure the original post was a joke to show stupid methods of the past.  In my line of work, I regularly deal with properties that are contaminated by this sort of thing.  It is usually on a much larger scale, but we have dealt with residences as well.  It's really pennywise and pound foolish to get rid of oil this way.  It costs many thousands to excavate contaminated soil and many more thousands if it gets in the groundwater.

Wow! It went completely over your head, didn't it?

8 hours ago, jcmiller said:

I posted it to show how different things were back in the day VS  the way things are today.  There was a time when this was common practice.  

Back on the farm I had a one acre pond stocked with fish and used for swimming in the summer. Every summer I would drop one quart of motor oil in the pond. The oil floats and would migrate to the outer banks where the water was stagnant and retard the growth of mosquito larvae.  Be it right or wrong it worked.

• Like 1

I recall when I was in the Army stationed in W. Germany, that "Komrad" would have a cow and a half if we spilled even one drop of oil or diesel on the ground, even on pavement.  Every "spill" had to be reported through channels to the W. German EPA equivalent, who made a production of coming on the base and cleaning  it up.  Small spills we could clean, but the Germans still came to inspect our work. That was on U.S. bases, if it was a NATO kaserne, they didn't have any authority.  When I was stationed in west Texas with USBP, we would catch people from El Paso out in the desert who would find a ditch, straddle it with their vehicle, or just park in the desert, and drain the oil on the ground to do their oil change.  I don't know what you would even call that behavior, oil recycling was free, every auto parts store and service station participated, and all were much closer to the miscreants than driving out to the desert.  They would get upset when we made them clean it up.  We couldn't cite them, but we could call the agency that would.  They claimed we were interfering with their culture...:huh:  

15 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I posted it to show how different things were back in the day VS  the way things are today.  There was a time when this was common practice.  

We're working with a company that helped operate an oil disposal sump on the bank of a river in the 1940s and 1950s.  The sump was created at the request of and with the assistance of the local authorities because until the sump was created the used oil and dirty bilge water was poured directly into the river.  The sump was occasionally burned off.  It seems crazy now, but it was an improvement at the time.  Now the river is a Superfund site and guess who has to help pay to clean it up?