1954 Plymouth Distributor

kd1975

Hi everyone,

First post so hopefully I get it right!!

I recently bought an Australian built 1954 Plymouth. It's all pretty original but we're having some trouble getting it going.

It did go for a bit and was firing on 3 cylinders at best. There doesn't seem to be much spark and the leads look pretty stuffed.

I'm happy to buy the parts I need but I can't find them - and neither can the auto shops I've asked for help.

I believe I'll need a new dizzy cap, leads and plugs. The original dizzy is a Lucas model DM6A 40388D, and the cap has screw in leads rather than the typical push on ones. Can this be swapped out for something newer

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt....welcome aboard, I assume you are in Oz..........the US cars used an Autolite Dissy as far as I know, the 1954 Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto Oz Workshop Manual supplement list the 54 Oz cars as using a Lucas dissy but does not mention any model number, the 46-53 manual shows that Oz cars used Autolite dissys till 52 then in 1953 Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness took over....no mention of a serial number tho'............have you tried Jim Robinson in Victoria?..................ph 03 5461 4619.........he carries a lot of mopar bits...........I don't mind if you want to call me......I'm in Grafton, NSW north coast, phone.....o2 66 425963..........call anytime up to 10.30 pm..........I talk better than I type.............lol............give me a call....Andy Douglas   

Thanks Andy, yeah I'm in Adelaide. I'm fairly new to the Plymouth world but I'll give Jim a call tomorrow. My Plymouth has a bit of an identity crisis. It's badged as a Cranbrook. As far as I know Cranbrook production stopped in 53 and mine is a 54. I imagine it was just a case of use up all the old parts??

21768968_1248370878601770_7381386478066011159_o.jpg

Kurt..........pleased that you are able to get the bits........do you have a shop manual?...........it seems that 1954 was a banner year for Oz mopars..........there appears to be lots of versions.........the 54 Oz Service Manual is the Supplement to the Oz 46-53 book and the 54 book lists FOUR versions under Plymouth, P25/1, P25/2, P25/3 and P25/4 (in fact 4 versions under both Dodge and DeSoto)and accordingly to  Gavin Farmer in his Great Ideas In Motion book on Oz Chrysler from 1946 to1981 the Plymouth was "badged either as a Cambridge or Cranebrook with the 3 speed manual gearbox, Savoy with the overdrive gearbox and Belvedere if ordered as an automatic" ..................and just to add spice to confusion, the 54 workshop manual lists THREE different engines!!!!!!...........the 228, the 230 and the 250..............lol.................what hope do current OZ mopar lovers have in trying to work out what their cars are or were delivered with..........lol...............it seems the gearbox choice decreed exactly what engine your car came with...............does any of this make sense.........lol...........andyd 

Haha...... mine seems like a bit of a mongrel. It's a 3 speed manual with a 230. Badged as a Cranbrook. It's ugly as hell but I love it! Hopefully the parts from Jim get it fired up and running! 

I don't have the workshop manual but I'd be interested in getting one if they're available.

Give it a good compression test.  Make you don't screw in the gauge fitting too far.  These engines like to get valves stuck in the open position when they sit for a while.  That could also be why you got the impression it was running on less than the full count of cylinders.  Welcome.

Kurt..does it have the serial number tags?, ie, its a D25/?.......and you're sure its a 230?.........that is, its 23" long and NOT the long engine which is 25" long.........interesting that it has NSW rego..........have you any more pics, etc..........andyd