Engine swap

bergy

Dodge did not make a 331 Hemi. I told you the 331 is a Chrysler engine. Whoever is giving you this information knows very little about  these engines and I would beware.

A 331 is a Chrysler Hemi and a good one to have. I am excited you are going this route instead of the silly V6 or something... As far as I know, your transmission should be able to bolt to the bell housing. Worst case scenario would be making an adapter or drilling some holes.

I am going to run a WC T5 behind mine since it sees mostly freeway use. That requires a bit of drilling and a centering ring too.

Edited by 59bisquik

Old style Hemi engines...1951 through 1958

Chrysler.....1955..301        1951-56..331   1956-57...354   1957-58...392  with the 392 being a raised block, these rest are standard block

Desoto.....1952-54..276     1955..291    1956..330   1957..341   1957..345  the 276 and 291 are standard blocks, others are raised block

Dodge....1953-55..241    1955..260   1955..270   1956..315   1957-58..325  with the 315 and 325 being raised blocks

the 14 combinations are from 4 cranks...with the 392 having that crank all to itself...so basically the other 13 shared 3 cranks....Chrysler and Desoto shared the same valves except again for the larger 392 which was only to itself and dodge had the two set of smaller valves 

Well we were right the first time,almost. This information was finally confirmed. The hemi is a  fire dome 291.  It comes with the 3 speed lasalle trans . So now if I go this route , will my b4  4speed trans still bolt to the bell housing , so I can use my trans brake ? A nd will the trans handle the additional torque?

Depending on the size of the bearing retainer on the front of the 4 speed and the bore in the bell housing, you may need to have a centering ring fabricated, of it might even fit. You will also need to mate the two to see what bolt holes match and what will need drilled. It’s not a common swap, so there you will need to do some measuring.

I have a 54+  truck bell housing  going onto a Dodge 325 Hemi and will be using a WC T5 transmission. In my case, I will use my flathead flywheel and pressure plate. I will need to find or fabricate a pilot bushing/bearing, a centering ring and drill some new holes. I am almost done with engine build up and will be attempting this stage soon. I travel mostly highways and freeways in my area, this using an overdrive tranny. This should give you an idea of what your up against. It doesn’t seem all that difficult if you are creative. I will be posting in my build thread as I go. Hope this helps some.

...and don't ignore the location of the splines on the input shaft.....Mounting the trans on the bell is only half of the battle.

Modifying the registration is pretty straight forward but usually involves a mill or lathe, drilling new holes to match the trans is fabrication 101, and the pilot bushing may, or may not be in need of 'help'...back to the lathe.