Manifold studs... sealant or not?

p24-1953

When changing to headers the outer two studs backed out rather than the nuts removing.   So of course sealant poured out, but at least nothing snapped or broke, so I will take it as a win.  In the past I would place a little rtv or something on them but i was informed by a old timer this was a no no and would cause the bolts to seize over time.

They said they would snug down fine and not leak.  

So sealant or not?

I’ve used thread sealant in such situations, without any adverse effects. I’ve also used anti-seize on bolts/studs going into aluminum—again with no adverse effects. When I’ve encountered “leakers” such as you have, and I tried to install bolts/studs without any “liquid assistance”, for me, anyway, it’s a guarantee for a “seeper”, or a major “leaker”.

• Like 1

I've used both teflon tape and thread sealant on bolts with excellent results. Both will adjust to minor changes better than RTV and both do just fine with the higher temps. You can try nothing, but as mentioned, it could leak later on. I've learned this lesson the hard way several times. 

--Brian

• Like 1

I have used "Kopr-Kote" anti seize for this application, ( manifold studs), successfully...:)

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

T120,

I’ve never heard of Kopr Kote. Where did you get it? Thx.

I've had it for a number of years and not sure where I purchased it, a little goes a long ways, it is a copper, high temperature, anti-seize compound . I see it is listed on Amazon along with other equivalent brands of  copper anti-seize compounds...a small brush top container isn't too expensive ...

Kopr-Kote.jpg

• Thanks 1