48 Plymouth dash removal question

37silverstreak

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how much of a nightmare it would be to remove the dash on my 48 Plymouth? I have a new reproduction wire harness I'm going to be installing and I  would also like to wood grain the dash. Both would be easier to do with it out of the car but if it's a huge headache to remove, I'll just work around it. Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Kevin 

It really isn’t difficult at all. You have to be abit of a contortionist to get under the dash to loosen some of the fittings on the driver’s side. The glove box door, and the glove box liner, is no problem at all. The toughest part for me as supporting the steering column, since I didn’t remove it. I made a “crutch” from a 2x4 with a notch to cradle the column. I did discover (the hard way) that the bolts holding the top edge dash along the windshield were oddball sized. The ones I removed were less-than-stellar, and Lowes didn’t have anything that came close. I went to a hardware store where I used to buy chrome allen bolts, washers, etc, for my chopper, and they had exactly what I needed—so I bought some extras—just in case.

Edited by DrDoctor

Just a suggestion when you do remove the dash is to paint the rear of the dash a light colour, white or similar or if you intend to sand blast the whole dash then primer and paint the front then leave the primer on the rear as its near enough to white to make life easier when looking at the rear of the dash when upside down........lol...........its also worth wiring up a small light on the firewall facing the rear of the car thats wired ideally direct from the ignition and/or a power take off..............I haven't had any experience with a 48 Plymouth dash but apart from the various wires the only bolts & screws etc on my 1940 dash were the ones under the front screen garnish molding, a pair on either end of the dash at the cowl side and the steering column and dash/firewall brace..........don't think there were any more.........I left the instruments and chrome moldings attached to the dash and undid them once the dash was out of the car................dunno if this helps.................andyd   

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 1

Hey, thanks guys! I bit the bullet this morning and gave it a shot, and the dash actually came out easier than I expected! This will make wood graining and rewiring a lot easier, thanks for your input!

Kevin

Doc, yep its a good idea tho' I can't take the credit, it was in an old Rod & custom or Rod Action mag back in the 70's..............37Silver.........I trust the woodgraining goes well..............andyd 

• Like 1