Mopar Engine Identification

Joeys41

Hello all, I've recently purchased a Mopar 6 cylinder Flathead and I'm trying to identify specifically what it is. The normally stamped numbers on the flat surface of the engine right below the head seem to be hand stamp there and not from the factory. I bought the engine and  it had  a white paper tag  attached with a string on it that read Chrysler industrial engine. However there are no markings on the engine to corroborate the authenticity of the tag. I'll attach photos so that folks can see what I'm talking about. The head measures 23 in and I have not checked the stroke as of yet. I thought normally industrial engines would be stamped with IND or would have a metal tag attached below the exhaust manifolds someplace forward on the engine. I'm trying to make sure that this engine will be okay to install in my 41 special Deluxe sedan.

Thanks

Jesse

Edited by Joeys41

That engine will work in your 41.  You will have to change the front pulley and probably the bell housing.

Manifolds should be OK.  Looking at the block, it is pre war  judging by the oil pressure relief valve.  The starter is 1946 or newer

The distributor is from a car or light truck.  The oil filler cap is the "heavy duty" option.

it appears to me that the engine may have been hand stamped for a P12 sequence number 127405   so to mimic the original engine for a 41 

special deluxe Plymouth.   You would have to know the bore and stroke at this time to identify the displacement.      The block should have the casting date on it and the block casting has a -18 mold change indicator.