Heater/defroster options for 1947 New Yorker 4 door sedan

Harvie

The layout of the heater/defroster and vents of my recently acquired 1947 Chrysler New Yorker Sedan appears to be so basic that I am beginning to doubt whether this really is a New Yorker at all and it may be a re-badged long wheel base Windsor or some other model.  I guess that I can check the serial number against some online references that I have browsed and I shall do so - but here are the things that I have noticed and maybe someone can tell me - New Yorker-or - not a New Yorker:

A. I have the parts catalog and I have looked at the exploded view of the windshield defroster vents for a '47 New Yorker and I see that there is an uptake under the dash on both the left and right sides of the windshield. In my car there is only an uptake on the right side under the dash and by the time the air from the heater gets to the left side of the windshield - where you need it most- it is cool and blowing very weakly. From my inspection it looks like that is the way the car was built - it never had an uptake for the windshield defroster on the left side. New Yorker? or Not a New Yorker?

B. My car only has one heater motor - the internal MOPAR heater on the passenger side under the dash and the defroster function is operated by a cable -pull choke-like switch attached to the heater and the heater function is achieved by opening up a small "door" on the heater. It is a very basic heater-defroster set up that one would find on a Plymouth (I used to have a '49 Plymouth). I have also noticed from pictures and diagrams that New Yorkers seem have an elaborate heater system with big vertical vents on the driver and passenger kick panels. It doesn't look like my car ever had them  - or if it did they were removed and replaced expertly with period appropriate materials. Further, the "heat", "defrost" etc labeled knobs on the elaborate New Yorker dash are all fused and fixed in place and not connected to anything - I would have expected that these knobs would have been left out altogether if a 1947 New Yorker was offered new with such a basic heater/defroster set up as I have described above. New Yorker? - or-Not a New Yorker?

Not trying to be overly fussy about this - I am very pleased with this car-if possible I was thinking of trying to restore the heater/defroster set up to conform with what options were originally available but I don't want to proceed upon the false premise that this really is a New Yorker if that is not the case or, in the alternative, if this basic heater/defroster set up is correct for a New Yorker then I will be happy to leave it as it is.

If anybody has any information that can set me straight about this I would really appreciate it.

Get a NewYorker owners manual... explains all the  optional heater systems on  Saratoga/NewYorker and Imperial cars..

Dual heaters were an option on all Chryslers. The passenger side MoPar Model 53 was a very common installed heater on 1946-48 Mopar cars including Chryslers.

The # 54 was the drivers side Mopar heater. Other types of heaters were dealer installed too.

Dual heaters #53 and 54 with the fresh air package and kick panel vents were another option on the C39 Chryslers .

Depending on the heater package some marked knobs are not used and do not pull out!

I could go on and on and on and on but will not.

Too much to type.:lol:

C38 C39 Data Book Info (1).JPG

C38 C39 Data Book Info (2).JPG

C38 C39 Data Book Info (3).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Dodgeb4ya........the Highlander Upholstery is not listed in that booklet you have?...........the 1948 Windsor I had came with the Highlander Upholstery in the red plaid and was the only one I had seen with this back then....well, mid 70's anyway, lol........... there have been a few 46-48 Chryslers imported into Oz over the yrs so I suppose a few may have the Highlander upholstery.........how common is it anyway?......................thanks, andyd  

14 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

You are being fussy....lol....everything on your car is basic, these cars are as simple as the day they were built....sometimes a pile of brick is just a pile of bricks.

Frankie, I love it....and to add a bit and hopefully not make anyone angry as I am not pointing a finger in any direction whatsoever but I would like to add that after seeing some projects built with brick still "look like a pile of bricks" 

• Thanks 1

Highlander was a very common 1941-48 Chrysler upholstery fabric.. both blue and green... the Chrysler Data book does not show it... the upholstery section is kinda weak to say the least... my other same Data  book does not even have that accessory section.

I am currently finishing up a NewYorker 3 passenger  business coupe with the Highlander interior. One # 53 Rt heater too.

The '47 Windsor came with a 6 if your car has the flat 8 probably the New Yorker.

If your car was made for the Canadian market the heater could be a different add on. The US cars especially in the later years seem to have more of the bells and whistles than the Canadian cars, it might have been the same in the 40's

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to reply. I think that I shall take Dodgeb4ya's advice and get a

NewYorker owner's manual for '47. I will search the Internet but does anyone readily know of a place where I can acquire one?

I already have a shop manual and parts list - in addition to the manual any other recommendations for documents I should get?

Thanks again!

Dennis Bickford might have a repro  owners manual but more than likely for the Town and Country Convertible "8" as that's his business. has all the same info as the regular C39 steel bodied cars.

The eight cylinder Saratoga/NY'er owners manual is a tough one to find.

The Royal/Windsor six manuals show up occasionally online.