Tech manual

Stalag17

Can anyone recommend a good service, repair or better yet a assembly manual for the 1941 dodge coupe. I have started to get into mine and I want to learn more about the fluid drive transmission and carburetor. If my motor is bad where can I find a 230. I live in SoCali, I'm wondering what other members have done for engine swaps keeping the original frame and front suspension. I'm seeking ideas and info. Thanks

If you can find an original or reproduction parts manual they have exploded drawings of assemblies that are pretty good on letting you see how things work and relate to associated components.  And they provide the original part numbers also.  You can find them at swap meets for originals and sometimes on line.  There is a fellow near here that specializes in manuals, literature brochures and factory paperwork.  Search Walter Miller Auto-Lit. 

Edited by greg g

20 minutes ago, greg g said:

If you can find an original or reproduction parts manual they have exploded drawings of assemblies that are pretty good on letting you see how things work and relate to associated components.  And they provide the original part numbers also.  You can find them at swap meets for originals and sometimes on line.  There is a fellow near here that specializes in manuals, literature brochures and factory paperwork.  Search Walter Miller Auto-Lit. 

Thank you

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

And if you are looking for a basic knowledge type manual you can't beat the Motors Manuals for the year you own. Explains things much more simply that then factory manual does. Complements the Factory manual, not replaces it.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Wiggo said:

I have an original shop manual for a 41 Dodge D19-20-21. Let me know which sections you want and I can scan it...

DodgeManual.jpg

Thank you, is there a section on the  fluid drive transmission. I’m trying to learn more about them. You pictures were perfect thank you again.

Someone more knowledgeable could provide better info, I'm sure, but my understanding is that the Fluid Drive was simply a fluid coupling between the motor and gearbox and sat (I think) between the flywheel and clutch. The upshot was that you needed to use the clutch to change gear, but once in gear you could let the clutch out and ride the brake like an auto box.

The manual I have is from Dodge Canada, and they offered slightly different options to what Detroit built. As such, I believe Detroit offered the D19 with Fluid Drive and three speed manual box. My manual lists:

• 3 speed manual
  • Power shift (a vacuum operated add-on to the 3 speed manual, giving servo assisted gear change)
  • Simplimatc with Fluid Drive (a two speed manual and 2 speed auto box giving four forward gears)
  • Vacamatic (overdrive unit on Chrysler C30 (New Yorker) and C33 (Crown Imperial)

Oh, and I am an idiot. I just found the Fluid Drive section...

FD1.jpg

FD2.jpg

FD3.jpg

FD4.jpg

Edited by Wiggo