50 Coronet project

Gregarious13

On 3/18/2018 at 11:28 AM, knuckleharley said:

What product did you use as a sealer,and what was the process?

It's made by KBS coatings. I get it from Summit Racing. I have used this on many old rusty tanks before but never on a new tank. I figured it would also keep the ethanol gas we have here from rusting the tank.

It's a three step process.

First a heavy duty cleaner/degreaser, you let it soak and agitat as needed. This tank was new so it only took a few minutes.

then a deruster/etching wash with a phosphoric acid based chemical. There was no real rust in this tank so again it was a quick process. The etch preps the metal for the coating. 

Last step is to pour the coating into the tanks and swirl it all over the insides then drain out the excess and let it cure fr 24 hours. 

It's all straight forward but very messy.

The picture is what the tank looks like just before the coating. The flash rust is helpful with the adhesion. It looks like **** but it's fine. 

Greg

IMG_20180310_130337.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New tires! Nothing too exciting but hey, it drives a bit better now.  It's got a bit of a right pull on the highway. I'll have to check the alignment. I haven't looked real close yet so not sure how adjustable the suspension is yet.

I drove the car to San Francisco where I work to put the tires on. I went a total of 82 miles round trip in the car. It drove fine, just a little breezy with the holes in the floor. I need to re aim the headlights as I did it before we had the gas tank full. Right now they are pointing up pretty high.  The horns need to be serviced as I blew the 30A fuse on the way home when I got cut off on the freeway. I don't think they should be drawing more than 20A.

Greg

IMG_20180326_180423.jpg

IMG_20180326_180434.jpg

1 hour ago, Gregarious13 said:

New tires! Nothing too exciting but hey, it drives a bit better now.  It's got a bit of a right pull on the highway. I'll have to check the alignment. I haven't looked real close yet so not sure how adjustable the suspension is yet.

I drove the car to San Francisco where I work to put the tires on. I went a total of 82 miles round trip in the car. It drove fine, just a little breezy with the holes in the floor. I need to re aim the headlights as I did it before we had the gas tank full. Right now they are pointing up pretty high.  The horns need to be serviced as I blew the 30A fuse on the way home when I got cut off on the freeway. I don't think they should be drawing more than 20A.

Greg

IMG_20180326_180423.jpg

IMG_20180326_180434.jpg

Minor stuff. Don't let it take away from the joy of actually being able to drive it. Nice,solid-looking car.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Minor stuff. Don't let it take away from the joy of actually being able to drive it. Nice,solid-looking car.

The fact that after 68 years the car still runs and drives is so cool! It's definitely a fun car to drive and will only be more enjoyable as work gets done.

The car is mostly complete, just missing the front beltline trim and part of the front fender trim is broken and the rear fender trim is missing all on the passenger side. The hood ornament and wheel covers are in the garage. 

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

The car made it to Lodi for the 11th Clements BBQ. It was a 2 hour drive with zero problems. The car averaged about 15 miles per gallon. \

At a gas station on the way home, somewhere in Lodi, a man was commenting on the Dodge and mentioned he has a 1949 DeSoto sedan on his farm that has been sitting since the '70s. His friend he was with said they have a bunch of old cars. He gave me his number, I may have to call and make a trip out there to see whats up.

We even got an award at the BBQ for the best in progress, pretty cool!

Now working on little things to make the car a little more usable for everyday like a heater and getting the horns working.

Cleaned and tuned the horns so they reliably work. Those suckers are loud! (Yes, they are running on 12V) Almost need a switch to deactivate one horn while in town, like a truckers highway and city horns.

Got the heater box and bower out of my Wayfarer to install in the Coronet only to find out the heater core leaks everywhere. I need to find a good radiator shop near me as San Jose Radiator is no longer in business. They were really good. We will have to make a new heater plenum from the heater box to firewall too. 

Then we need to tackle the dome light switches so the dome light works when opening the doors.

Probably wont start the sheet metal until we move into the shop space we are going to be renting. I have outgrown the one car garage and my buddy Craig found us a great deal on a single bay shop near by. Should be enough space for two cars and all the tools.

Greg

IMG_20180414_173910.jpg

IMG_20180414_173918.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 3:21 PM, Gregarious13 said:

I drove the car to San Francisco where I work to put the tires on. I went a total of 82 miles round trip in the car. It drove fine, just a little breezy with the holes in the floor. I need to re aim the headlights as I did it before we had the gas tank full. Right now they are pointing up pretty high. 

Sounds to me like new shocks should be the next thing on your shopping list,and you might want to put them on before you go to the alignment shop.

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Sounds to me like new shocks should be the next thing on your shopping list,and you might want to put them on before you go to the alignment shop.

Agreed, shocks are definitely on the list. I am  the alignment shop so  Ill just check out the alignment on the front before any more suspension work is done. The shocks aren't going to affect the alignment angles anyway. Plus since I'm doing the alignment, I can take it back for as many checks as I need as work progresses. 

I have been clearing out a hoarders garage. This has been my weekend time for the past month and a half. Getting a bunch of good stuff for the new shop space and extras to boot! 

There are about 20 Cabbage Patch dolls I'm going to sell and several Tonka trucks still in original packaging! More trucks not packaged. 

Some pictures of what I brought home yesterday.

Pretty fun going through this guys garage. I'm headed over there now for another big haul!

Greg

IMG_20180421_175138.jpg

IMG_20180421_160505.jpg

IMG_20180421_160539.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13

6 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

Agreed, shocks are definitely on the list. I am  the alignment shop so  Ill just check out the alignment on the front before any more suspension work is done. The shocks aren't going to affect the alignment angles anyway. Plus since I'm doing the alignment, I can take it back for as many checks as I need as work progresses. 

Are  you sure of that? Shocks and springs affect the ride height,which would affect the alignment also because the suspension would travel further than it was designed to travel.

42 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Are  you sure of that? Shocks and springs affect the ride height,which would affect the alignment also because the suspension would travel further than it was designed to travel.

Springs, yes, will affect ride height but shocks, no. Shock absorber simply control the spring movement, dampen it, if you will. 

Greg