50 Coronet project

Gregarious13

21 minutes ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

Thanks for the info about the amplifier and jack. I suppose one could also add a charging dongal or flush mount a usb female plug? Is there a convertor to use 12v stuff in a 6volt car? Sorry if this is a dumb question- Electrically impaired.

Yes, you can definitely add a USB port for phone charging and such. There are converters for 6-12v Neil and Ethan asked about this a few posts back. Maybe that info will answer your questions. Also the converter would be a good fit for something like this amplifier or a phone charger that doesn't draw a whole lot of current. 

Greg

1 hour ago, mrwrstory said:

Gregarious,

I am struck by so few "attaboys!"  Even 'tho I'm way past wiring issues on my car, I enjoy seeing you workmanship and your work ethic. We need more "hands on" young guys and you are a great example.  Keep up the good work, keep us posted and,....keep us honest!

Good job and,..  atta boy! ;)

Thank you very much for the compliments. I appreciate it very much! 

I had a couple of the screws that hold the dash break when I initially removed the dash.

I center punched thed slowly drilled untill I had a thin she'll left in the nut. I then used a tap to clean out the remaining threads. I got lucky on both the broken screws, they came out fine. 

IMG_20180109_180645.jpg

IMG_20180109_182655.jpg

IMG_20180109_181350.jpg

Before reinstalling the dash I thought it would be wise to fix the crispy wires for the wiper motor.

I pulled apart the motor and removed the wires from the motor and auto park mechanism. I cleans the auto park contacts and I also cleaned and lubricated the motor brushes.

Then I soldered on fresh wire and heat shrinked. Now I just need to install the connector and back in it goes.

That should be all for the dash. I should get it installed this weekend, assuming the rain holds out. 

Greg 

IMG_20180109_182754.jpg

IMG_20180109_201031.jpg

IMG_20180109_201124.jpg

IMG_20180109_202451.jpg

IMG_20180109_202844.jpg

IMG_20180109_203456.jpg

IMG_20180110_184219.jpg

IMG_20180110_184224.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13

Well, we finally got the dash back in the car. That's a good feeling to have that part done. The remaining wiring is the easy part.

I needed to make a horn cable for the steering column. I used a short piece of copper nickel brake line and a little circle of copper sheet for the contact at the steering wheel end. I just soldered the two pieces together and crimped it to a piece of wire. 

I used a push on retainer to hold the contact tight to the ring that screws to the steering wheel.  The whole assembly plugs into the horn cable with a bullet connector.  Sorry I didn't get pictures of that part.

Greg

IMG_20180113_114117.jpg

IMG_20180113_114158.jpg

IMG_20180113_120203.jpg

IMG_20180113_120854.jpg

IMG_20180115_161258.jpg

IMG_20180113_120904.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
Addition
  • Like 1

While the steering wheel was out we decided to fix the cracks and paint it. It's nice to have a good looking steering wheel and it feels good on the hands.

The first step is to file all the cracks nice and wide so the filler has a place to go. Also the cracks are tapered a bit. 

The the wheel was cleaned with Acetone then we applied some body filler and let that cure.

Next the sanding then primer then more sanding and more filler then more sanding then more primer then more sanding then maybe the paint.

Greg

IMG_20180113_114130.jpg

IMG_20180113_114125.jpg

IMG_20180113_130305.jpg

Very impressed with your wiring, neat, clean & tidy.....also the steering wheel horn cable contact, thats something that many of us would have been scratching our heads over and your simple explanation and pics will answer someones question..........overall I'm very impressed tho' am surprised that you don't appear to have shot some light coloured paint on the rear of the dash.........its something I found very useful.....lol..........anyway keep up the good work, most impressive........Andyd  

99% of the wiring is now complete. The remaining items are the heater and defroster blowers.

This is the first time I have heard those horns and boy are they loud! 

We took the car out for another test drive today after the wiring was complete. The Gyro-Matic now shifts automatically like it's supposed to and we have turn indicators.

I have a feeling my DC converter for the wipers is no good as the wipers aren't working. I'll do a little troubleshooting tomorrow evening. 

Greg

IMG_20180114_115914.jpg

IMG_20180114_115927.jpg

IMG_20180114_125301.jpg

IMG_20180114_133238.jpg

IMG_20180114_133232.jpg

IMG_20180115_162128.jpg

IMG_20180115_162118.jpg

IMG_20180115_162153.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13
Addition
  • Like 1

So the wipers and DC-DC converter work fine. Looks like the wiper switch may be a little funky, only one speed works. I'll have to take it out and see what it looks like inside. Otherwise no more updates at the moment. I fractured a rib at work so I won't be able to do much on the car for a couple weeks. It's also been a little wet here in CA and the car is outside. 

Greg

So I gather no smart arse, humourous comments guaranteed to make you double over with mirth.............I have enjoyed following this thread and trust you recover quickly..... ....regards, andyd

46 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

So I gather no smart arse, humourous comments guaranteed to make you double over with mirth.............I have enjoyed following this thread and trust you recover quickly..... ....regards, andyd

Yes, none of that please! Laughing is a pain. The worst of it is I can't go to work and I can't work at home so I have to just sit on the couch and spend money on the internet. I have restocked my hardware cabinet, I got a new steering gear box and ring and pinion gears for the Ford. I ordered some weatherstripping for the Dodge, I order two 4'x10' sheets of 20 gauge steel and miscellaneous lengths of tubing. I found a Motors manual on eBay, actually two. The list goes on. Golly, I need to get back to work or I'll go broke! 

Greg

My buddy came over yesterday and pulled the gas tank to see what it looked like. Well, it's Swiss cheese, the front and bottom are covered with holes. He's going to pull the tank from my car and see if it's any better.  We may end up making a tank if mine is no good too. 

We think it would be fun to take the Coronet to the Clements Tailgate BBQ so we need to get some things in order.

Greg

IMG_20180121_150906.jpg

IMG_20180121_150910.jpg

IMG_20180121_150913.jpg

Edited by Gregarious13

4 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

My buddy came over yesterday and pulled the gas tank to see what it looked like. Well, it's Swiss cheese, the front and bottom are covered with holes. He's going to pull the tank from my car and see if it's any better.  We may end up making a tank if mine is no good too. 

We think it would be fun to take the Coronet to the Clements Tailgate BBQ so we need to get some things in order.

Greg

IMG_20180121_150906.jpg

IMG_20180121_150910.jpg

IMG_20180121_150913.jpg

Do yourself a huge favor and just buy a new Tanks,Inc gas tank and be done with it. No matter how rusty one looks on the outside,it's rustier on the inside.

Also,you need to replace ALL your gas lines,both steel and rubber. The steel ones will be rusty inside where you can't see the rust,and ethanol will dissolve the old rubber gas lines. Buy a roll of the nickel-copper allow brake line in the correct diameter and use that. You can bend it by hand and it won't kink,and it will never rust,inside or out.

New rubber brake hoses are also readily available,and are cheap insurance.

Speaking of brakes,plan on pulling the hubs to look,and then replacing all the wheel cylinders and rebuilding the master cylinder,too. That is a safety issue as well as a preventable accident issue. It is usually cheaper to buy new wheel cylinders than it is to rebuild them,but it;s a lot cheaper to buy a kit to rebuild the master cylinder. Don't forget to replace the brake shoes and turn the drums while you have it apart if it needs this done. This is usually stuff you can wait to do,but you can't wait to do the wheel cylinders,master cylinder,and the brake lines and hoses. Do them before you even attempt a test drive.

Brake components are all taken care of. That was step one. Well getting the engine running was really step one. All new hoses, cylinders hard lines and all. 

We'll build a tank before buying one. Not too hard. It'll look much like a tanks inc. 

We will definitely run new hard fuel line and rubber hoses. I don't take shortcuts.

Thanks for keeping us in check though!

Greg

5 minutes ago, Gregarious13 said:

Brake components are all taken care of. That was step one. Well getting the engine running was really step one. All new hoses, cylinders hard lines and all. 

We'll build a tank before buying one. Not too hard. It'll look much like a tanks inc. 

We will definitely run new hard fuel line and rubber hoses. I don't take shortcuts.

Thanks for keeping us in check though!

Greg

My apologies. You never know the experience level of most people posting,so it's safest to just cover the basics unless it's somebody you know.

Edited by knuckleharley

23 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

My apologies. You never know the experience level of most people posting,so it's safest to just cover the basics unless it's somebody you know.

So true! Just trying to keep us all alive.

Greg

Once a year, I put my truck on a hoist and do a thorough safety  check up. Will do that before I head up to the BBQ. This year I will return home to Fresno area via Yosemite National Park. I need some pictures of the truck from there, will likely stay one night in the park. Join me! 

Yes, on Saturday afternoon. It's only a 2.5 hour drive from Clements, so can easily get there before dark. Afternoon is a good  time to photograph. Will keep you informed, maybe we can get a convoy going, be fun to drive in there with a bunch of old cars and trucks

Edited by pflaming