Engine upgrade

bergy

Me again

Got the 1953B4 I talked in my last post engine swap.In that post I was talkin about that firepower hemi. With all the educated response I laid that idea to rest. I really like the trans mounted emergency brake. So now my new idea is a Chrysler v-6 . Did they make a v-6 that might be a good swap..? I’d like to figure a way for the more modern trans and the trans brake. Did anyone do this? Thanks in advance

Bergy

easy to do and do take the electronics in consideration..if you referring to the carbureted pre throttle body Dakota 3.9, again, it will not involve electronics but you shooting yourself in the foot ruling out electronic and the more fuel efficient and yet more powerful V6 Pentastar or even the predecessor to the Penta and successor to the 3.9 magnum, the 3.7 Magnum.  These can be had with manual 5 and 6 speed trannies and automatics from the A500 series on the early to the most current.  While the truck should not be as restrictive an engine bay as is the car...in the cars, they not at all difficult.

I'm not sure that switching to a new 5 or 6 speed tranny, you'll be able to keep the tranny mounted e-brake. I went had to go to a newer type NP435 4 speed and lost that part on mine. I ended up swapping the differential for a Cherokee 3.55 differential, I still need to come up with the cable to go from the T handle to the e-brake linkage if there is anyone who has any recommendations, I'm listening. Anyone have a cable that will fit for sale?

again, as this is truck I cannot say with certainity...but with EVERY car that I have upgraded be it a 8 3/4, 7.1/4, 9 1/4 or the more commom 8 1/4 I have been able to marry the old with the new, even the cables bolted into the existing lock on the pull handle of the older car.  Though the later cables are a ball and not a slug, guess what, they still lock and there are many many couplers, slides and pulls in the wrecking yard that will easily see to your needs, at least I have stayed all Mopar and covered 7 decades of mix and match.  If you opt for the very latest rear gears, get the rear cable mounting fixture that is of the donor, it is a compound cable slide setup and you need it as one cable will lock and allow the other to follow suit...many times folks sell themselves short by not getting some of the associated hardware, mounts and cables when they snag that precious late model rear gear.  By far, the easiest set up Ihave done has been the 2004 Dakota..it is as if made for retrofit..

I responded late in your last post and stated the HEMI would increase the value but I don't think I would make the same claim with a V6.  Kinda looses the coolness factor and it wouldn't solve the e-brake issue.  Either way you are loosing the trans mounted e-brake unless you find a T.F. out of a motorhome.

Put the HEMI in it and don't look back...

Edited by Adam H P15 D30