Starter grind

Greg F

Evening guys,

I have an issue when starting.  Sometimes when I push the starter pedal, it does not engage the flywheel and makes a grinding noise.  Other times starts up just fine.  Just had the starter rebuilt and did not fix the problem.  Did the same thing with the 218, now have a 230 installed.  Usually fixes itself it just push car forward or backwards a few inches.(12 volt)

Any ideas?  Pedal not pushing forward enough?  Teeth ratio problem?  

Thanks,

Greg

This problem usually is a result of the pinion not being fully engaged when the switch energizes the starter.  I have encountered it only on cars with 12 volt conversions so I suspect that a more sluggish 6 volt system allows the teeth to mesh before the pinion really starts to turn.   A solution is to slightly chamfer each ring gear tooth.   This can be done by removing the clutch cover.  Given the number of teeth, it is not a job I would want to volunteer to do.

Perhaps an adjustment of the starter switch may help.

• Thanks 1

I had that exact same problem in my 1940 P-9. Took the starter out and installed a new pinion  drive gear and that fixed it..Might be something to check out as although your starter was  rebuilt ,sometimes they don't always change them during the process. Good luck!