The Engine is out

tanda62

Got the engine off the mounts and now I can remove the ugly red paint someone put on it and get it silver again!  But first the front axle and springs are coming off to be cleaned and painted. Already did the rear and the transmission. Then clean and paint the frame.  Getting closer to reassemble time!!

Engine on stand Passenger side.gif

rearend cleaned and painted.gif

trans with paint and gaskets.gif

• Like 4

No worries. I like the mixing of silver and black as well. I did that on my transmission and plan to do it on the bell housing and engine. Good to see others to get ideas.

On another note I was wondering why both my rear spring shackles were right hand thread and got my answer taking the front shackles off. They were both left hand thread. Also found some cracks so I have ordered all new shackles. When I put them back I will install the left hand on the driver's side and right hand on the passenger. Funny what you find when working on a previously "restored" vehicle...

On 12/15/2017 at 5:04 AM, tanda62 said:

No worries. I like the mixing of silver and black as well. I did that on my transmission and plan to do it on the bell housing and engine. Good to see others to get ideas.

On another note I was wondering why both my rear spring shackles were right hand thread and got my answer taking the front shackles off. They were both left hand thread. Also found some cracks so I have ordered all new shackles. When I put them back I will install the left hand on the driver's side and right hand on the passenger. Funny what you find when working on a previously "restored" vehicle...

Depending on the condition of the shackles themselves or your vision for the truck, there is another option for shackles. 

1) if your shackles are good and only need the new metal busings, you can order the shackles  for a Jeep WIlly's from RockAuto.com for $10 each versus the $40 for Dodge units. Then just use the bushings.

2) If you are looking to go a shade lower, you can use the WIlly's shackles instead of the Dodge. I know they work in the back, but I am sure some of the 53 and earlier guys could chime in on the front. The 54+ like mine has a crossmember that interferes in the front with the shorter shackle.

Thanks for the information.  I ordered all new shackles from DCM.  I have been really happy with the parts I have gotten from them already. 

This truck was originally my father in laws and will eventually pass on to the kids (they are adults but not really into fixing and working on old things).  I want to make it as maintenance free and safe to drive as I can while still retaining the spirit of the original truck. 

• Like 1