May Add Dodge Royal to my Collection

mmcdowel

A neighbor is selling a beautiful red and white 1955 Dodge Royal with the Red Ram V8.  Thought of adding it to my garage along with my Meadowbrook.

I've been over all of it and found no rust (thank you dry Oklahoma weather), but I'm concerned that all the exterior chrome is turning gray and pitting.  Paint looks great (its an old repaint I'm sure) but what causes this with the chrome?  I'm assuming its scary expensive to send that all out to be replated?  Other than the chrome the car is great, runs, drives fine.....excellent interior.  With the bad chrome its definitely a "20 foot car" though.  Looks best from 20 feet away.

Thanks!

Try some Nev R Dull on it.  Cotton wadding with a mild solvent soaked in.  Think is now an Eagle brand.  In tyher big box store with all the polished waxes and cleaners.should brighten up unless its down to their Nicole layer

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-One-Nevr-Dull-5-oz/15125758

That graying is the oxidation on the chrome. I used a brillo pad on mine. Shined right up but still have the pitting. After using the brillo pad put a coat of wax on the chrome to keep shiny. Only way to get rid of the pitting is to re-chrome and that gets expensive.

Joe

A fine bristle brass brush goes a long way as well, especially in areas you can't reach with 00 steel wool.  Take the extra few minutes to run a width of good, quality masking tape any place the trim meets the paint to protect it.  Make sure the car is completely dry before starting & blow the residue off of the paint as soon as you finish.  You want to make sure all of the steel wool residue is off of the car before it gets wet again.

My company makes duct tape, masking and painters tape so I'm good to go there!  Thank you all for your advice and I'll give it a go.  Some will definitely have to be rechromed, but I think I can save the bumpers, grille, etc........and only have a few pieces to rechrome.  Ur right Plymouthy.....I'm sure that why the chrome was the last thing that wasn't redone.  I'm super appreciative of the fantastic chrome on my Meadowbrook now....I hadn't realized what a gift that was having it in such excellent shape.  Won't take that for granted anymore.

shipping is off the chart..the USPS with contracting out to FedEx and UPS for point to point and their new requirements for weight equal size where you pay for size of box over content weight and the USPS having to follow suit has all but put an end to a valued shipping cost.  I would almost say conspiracy...

so far, if you can get by with a USPS flat rate box for your shipping needs, they seem to be the better deal...two day priority  mail gets there in 12.....there is no winning.....and this was long before the Christmas mailing season....just got to shake your head and plod along..