Self parking car

pflaming

Someone developed a parking assist package for a Cadillac, with the spare tire mounted in the trunk to drop down and move the rear of the car side to side.  This Continental version seems simpler and woud require less modification of the car.

Now there is a self-parking feature in some cars.  What will they think of next?  Automatic braking at obstacles?  Self driving cars?   

Edited by DonaldSmith

1 hour ago, DonaldSmith said:

Now there is a self-parking feature in some cars.  What will they think of next?  Automatic braking at obstacles?  Self driving cars?   

done and done...the limiting factor right now is government approval for letting these puppies loose on the street in full autonomous mode..who knows, one day you can get out of the drivers seat of your big RV and walk to the galley for a cup of coffee and a doughnut.  In all seriousness , some folks could use all the help they can get and still be lacking...I can see this as a big big plus to people with physical handicaps..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

My boss has a new Volvo that is semi-autonomous. Set max speed and following distance and it’ll pretty much drive itself. It monitors the lines on the road to keep it in the lane. It’ll get a little confused at on and off ramps sometimes, but it is kind of cool. The driver is required to maintain contact with the steering wheel every so often to it’ll start beeping to get your attention. 

6 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

My boss has a new Volvo that is semi-autonomous. Set max speed and following distance and it’ll pretty much drive itself. It monitors the lines on the road to keep it in the lane. It’ll get a little confused at on and off ramps sometimes, but it is kind of cool. The driver is required to maintain contact with the steering wheel every so often to it’ll start beeping to get your attention. 

Women seem to have a very similar program built into their operating system.....

53 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I guess these things have been available on higher end cars for a while now but they seem to be working their way down to the lower cost models.

My "new car", a 2004 model was totalled last month (other party accepted full responsibility) so I purchased a new Toyota. It's radar adaptive cruise control works like you describe for the Volvo. Toyota's "lane departure alert" is a bit different though: It won't keep you centered in the lane (they expect you to always be steering the car) but it will give you audio and tactile feedback if you wander too much or leave the lane. I haven't attempted to test the automatic braking and hope it will never actually be needed while I am in the car.

I have to say the first time I tried the adaptive cruise control in traffic was a bit scary. But it actually does make getting through the Southern California freeway system less fatiguing. Won't get where you want to go any faster but I seem to be less wound up and on edge when I get to my destination.

• Like 1

My latest is a 2015 and I like to never have found a stripped down version without all the bells and whistles.  I do not mind power windows, I want AC, cruise control and a good stereo...just be careful buying new cars...many no longer come with a spare...the inflator kits are not a cost reduction to you as they claim...it is two fold marketing, it allow less weight for better fuel mileage and more frequent trips by you to the parts counter to buy the "proprietary"  sealant canisters...oh and the towing companies have viewed this no spare as a boom to their industry.....hmmm, do thy have a lobbyist in the background..!

1 hour ago, TodFitch said:

I guess these things have been available on higher end cars for a while now but they seem to be working their way down to the lower cost models.

My "new car", a 2004 model was totalled last month (other party accepted full responsibility) so I purchased a new Toyota. It's radar adaptive cruise control works like you describe for the Volvo. Toyota's "lane departure alert" is a bit different though: It won't keep you centered in the lane (they expect you to always be steering the car) but it will give you audio and tactile feedback if you wander too much or leave the lane. I haven't attempted to test the automatic braking and hope it will never actually be needed while I am in the car.

I have to say the first time I tried the adaptive cruise control in traffic was a bit scary. But it actually does make getting through the Southern California freeway system less fatiguing. Won't get where you want to go any faster but I seem to be less wound up and on edge when I get to my destination.

I've said this before...all paving the way to:

1. get us used to autonomous vehicles

2.  make us buy into the tech

3. let the kids play on their toys instead of paying attention to the road

4. these toys only account and IMO are needed for the inattentive driver

On Monday I'd have loved to see one of these cars TRY and navigate when there were no lane lines visible due to slush/snow.  I see NO way for these to ever REALLY be the all time vehicle the tech giants want us to believe w/o a complete rebuild of ALL roadways that incorporate some sort of sensible device for the computer to register.  I don't see that happening any time soon as half the roads out there need a refresh and still don't get them. All these people WANT to live in Sci-Fi land of self driving cars, but I just don't see it working for at least 20 years w/o a HUGE bucket of money.  Can you imagine NEVER being "paid up" on a vehicle and ALWAYS having to pay money out to go somewhere?  Money grab plain and simple like many things we see now touted as an "improvement".  My cell phone of 2 years (finally paid off) has the battery declining sharply.  Shocking how that works out to having to get a new phone now since batteries are now sealed in.  Some "improvement".

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that in Japan there is a company name CarFromJapan offering cars with lower price..:wub:..I have interest on Toyota Rav 2006 for sale. By searching I got a link (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-prius-for-sale-year2011

I am really surprise to see the price of these cars. I will try to get one from them I guess... :D

Edited by KindachiShota

On 12/12/2017 at 10:23 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

My latest is a 2015 and I like to never have found a stripped down version without all the bells and whistles.  I do not mind power windows, I want AC, cruise control and a good stereo...just be careful buying new cars...many no longer come with a spare...the inflator kits are not a cost reduction to you as they claim...it is two fold marketing, it allow less weight for better fuel mileage and more frequent trips by you to the parts counter to buy the "proprietary"  sealant canisters...oh and the towing companies have viewed this no spare as a boom to their industry.....hmmm, do thy have a lobbyist in the background..!

I worked at an auto dealer back in the 80's. The salesmen spoke highly of the Subaru's safety ratings and innovations. I remember them saying the spare tire under the hood would turn the engine downward in a head on crash.

But this was coming from a salesman so...

I asked one of the mechanics one day if Subaru made a good car. He said " yea they do pretty good if the service is kept up. I've seen a lot of them with 300k plus miles on them. But they don't have enough power to tear them selves up" lol.

Maybe I’m stuck in the past, but too many people are too comfortable in driving. Don’t get me wrong, ac is nice, and so is a stereo. With that said, I am a believer that there would be less/better drivers on the road if people needed to learn to drive on an old truck with manual drum brakes, manual steering, and a stick. Way too many distractions in the new cars make it way too easy to forget the driver is in “control” of a 4-6000 or more missile.

6 hours ago, nonstop said:

Maybe I’m stuck in the past, but too many people are too comfortable in driving. Don’t get me wrong, ac is nice, and so is a stereo. With that said, I am a believer that there would be less/better drivers on the road if people needed to learn to drive on an old truck with manual drum brakes, manual steering, and a stick. Way too many distractions in the new cars make it way too easy to forget the driver is in “control” of a 4-6000 or more missile.

Yea they should have a section on the drivers test where they put you in a 3 speed on the column and let you parallel park it with no power steering, while eating a ham sandwich and drinking a hot cup of coffee ( full, with no lid, from McDonald's) and no cup holder. If you do well on that I think you might be good.

It's either that or you have to drive down a street in a 3rd world country under heavy fire. About the same as getting off work of the evening when 2 or 3 factorys  let out at the same time.

• Like 1