Rear Brake drum on B2B

Iowaboy

Trying to remove the passenger side rear brake drum. Removed cotter pin but can’t get the nut to unscrew on the end of the axle. I assume it’s a right hand thread. I’m trying to turn the nut ccw to remove it. Don’t want to beat on the wrench too much until I’m sure I’m going in the correct direction. 

1 minute ago, Merle Coggins said:

Maybe someone rattled it on with an impact gun. It should come off, but may be kind of tight. 

That's what I always do! That nut needs to be tight. 

Thanks, put the wheel back on and used two combination wrenches to leverage the nut off. 

I didn't realize that there was a keyway in the  axle to lock the axle and drum together. Now i have to borrow or buy a drum puller next. 

42 minutes ago, Iowaboy said:

Thanks, put the wheel back on and used two combination wrenches to leverage the nut off. 

I didn't realize that there was a keyway in the  axle to lock the axle and drum together. Now i have to borrow or buy a drum puller next. 

I kinda thought that'd be the next issue......

ok, i got the passenger side rear drum off using a drum puller from Auto Zone. When it came off, i thought something broke! It was a loud bang. 

Now the driver's side.......is the drum retaining nut a left hand thread like the rim bolts?

3 hours ago, Iowaboy said:

Now the driver's side.......is the drum retaining nut a left hand thread like the rim bolts?

No. Normal thread on both axle shafts.

It is often recommended to leave the nut on loose when pulling the drums. Sometimes they come off with enough force to fly across the garage.

Thanks Merle, I got lucky on the first drum, it just popped out when it broke loose. I left the nut on on the next drum. 

So the rear  brake shoes have very little visible wear and the  truck hasn’t been on the road in 37 years. I’m planning on reusing the shoes and replacing the wheel cylinders. Guess I’ll see where the hydraulic lines leak to find what else needs to be replaced.....

10 hours ago, Iowaboy said:

Thanks Merle, I got lucky on the first drum, it just popped out when it broke loose. I left the nut on on the next drum. 

So the rear  brake shoes have very little visible wear and the  truck hasn’t been on the road in 37 years. I’m planning on reusing the shoes and replacing the wheel cylinders. Guess I’ll see where the hydraulic lines leak to find what else needs to be replaced.....

personally I'd have them relined...you don't want the old "glue" to let loose on you on the road, and NOW is the time to do it vs. later....my $0.02

• Like 2