1951 B-3-B need to jump coil to start

Hi,

I am new to the forum and want to thank you ahead of time for your help.  I just got a 1951 B-3-B 1/2 ton pick-up.  It is totally original and has been off road since 1990.  The truck originally started life in Hawaii and was brought to CA in 1964.  While in CA it was owned by the same family until I just purchased it.  The truck is in beautiful original patina condition.  My plan is to replace all seals/weatherstripping and clear coat it.  I tried to start it up after a 30 yr nap and find I get no spark.  When I jump from battery to the coil directly I can get it to run.  It still is the original 6v positive ground system.  Any thoughts on where I should start to look?  Also, do you have any recommendations for interior kits and weatherstripping kits?

Thanks Marc

With your key on, is there power to the coil? Next is there power to the ignition switch? Check power to the Ammeter. If the wiring harness is original, Power is fed from the starter terminal to the ammeter, from the ammeter to the ignition switch, and from the ignition switch to the coil. Using an test light check power from each component to ground. Wherever you lose power, isolate the component and check the component. Considering the age of the vehicle it could easily be a wiring issue, Old cloth insulation becomes brittle over time and cracks. This can cause shorts and burnt wiring harnesses. The ignition switch can go bad or if the truck was jumped from a 12 volt system, the Ammeter could have been damaged. A quick check of this would be to jumper the ammeter contacts and try to start it. You can also jumper the ignition switch. Here is a wiring diagram that may help you along the way.

xwire001A_lgweb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...