Body removal 48 Plymouth coupe

Busted_Knuckles

I started removing the body on my 48 today and what a slipshod job, half the body bolts were either missing the nuts all were loose and I am almost positive the body bushings are not correct for my car. The one thing I noticed that looked out of place was on both sides there is a piece of 3/4" box tubing welding at an angle and it appears it was resting on the frame. Is this supposed to be there? I can't imagine what purpose they serve so if you know please enlighten me. 

Oh BTW I have all the bolts out ready to lift the car off the frame and wait I can't find the bolt heads for the two remaining bolts at the very back of the car, that because some one welded a panel over the top of them must have lost his job at NASA and went into repairing rust old cars

Thanks for the input.

I've rebuilt two vehicles, one twice. If I did another on, which I won't, the body would come off. The amount a mechanical work that is under the car is so available from the top. Good luck on your build.

On my P15, I found a body bolt at the rear passenger side at the top of the frame's arch, adjacent to the spare tire well.  "Twas non symmetrical with the rest of the car.  As I recall, there was an odd number of bolts.  All others seemed to be in a logical, symmetrical pattern.  If you find one on one side, look for an opposing one.

Good luck.

Pics please.

10 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

On my P15, I found a body bolt at the rear passenger side at the top of the frame's arch, adjacent to the spare tire well.  "Twas non symmetrical with the rest of the car.  As I recall, there was an odd number of bolts.  All others seemed to be in a logical, symmetrical pattern.  If you find one on one side, look for an opposing one.

Good luck.

Pics please.

No the one on the passenger side was missing but on the drivers side some knucklehead siliconed a body mount bushing to the body and frame

Yesterday I cut the body loose from the chassis on my '53 Plymouth Suburban. The heads on the bolts were barely distinguishable so I cut the three from the front back with a cutting disc and used two new blades on my sawzall to reach into the frame from the rear to cut those two bolts. Eight bolts total. This body off is WORK and I'm no spring chicken!  So looks like we both have a ways to go. I sure hope it will be worth it at the end! 

IMG_1981.JPG

• Like 1

BustedKnuckles,

Yep, there’s “fixing someone else’s “fixes””, and then there’s “fixing someone else’s “messes””. I’ve never encountered a repair that was a “one-way/one-time” deal. Good to see you’re approaching your repairs in a sensible, sane manner. Having a plan is great. I always loved plans—still do. Best regards to you.

Pflaming,

I’ve done one too many body-off-frame projects (mostly on hot rods and customs), so my heart goes out to both you, and to BustedKnuckles. But, both of you please take heart in the fact that I’m here, in the bleachers, actively cheering both of you on in your respective projects, and the respective tasks therein. As always, warmest regards to you, too.

pflaming I had one semi advantage in that the ____________ who did the work didn't feel the need to tighten any of the bolt......:lol: I mean some were practically finger tight. Good thing because when I get frustrated I  usually reach for the smoke wrench but it was at the other end of the shop so I opted for a milder approach.

DrDoctor I could have used a doctor this afternoon like my compadre I am no spring chicken either actually my chicken done sprung years ago. It is gratifying to make some progress even if it appears to be minor as long as I keep working on it and sticking with the plan. I read a post here where someone removed the shaft from the steering box but someone didn't give the guy on the  Plymouth assembly line  the memo. I tried everything to get that free form the box no way so my friend the 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel came to the rescue. I had someone interested in it but that never transpired. It's a very easy repair a lug inside the shaft and a few minutes with the Tig welder and it's better than new.

Busted, it's consoling to have someone of like mind. I have learned to place a car stand near to where I am working to assist me to get back on my feet!  I Was using the smoke wrench to remove the king pin set pins when suddenly the flame reversed into the tube. I had to turn off the fuel at the tanks to stop the flames. Even so I'm too stubborn to stop now. 

Edit: I will get a pair of those quick release couplers ASAP. TKS. See below!

Edited by pflaming

Flame arrestors!

Dodgeb4ya, how do they work, where installed? I no longer use my torch or welder inside my shop! My shop opens to the alley so I consider half of the alley an extension of my property and use it accordingly. So that is now my torch and welding area. 

Oh, and I now have a shop cat again. This one showed up, so I fed him and he stayed! 

IMG_1958.JPG

• Like 1

Dodgeb4ya,

I, too, am interested in those flame-arrester fittings. I have full-sized tanks, so I put extra-long hoses on them, so I don’t have to lug the heavy cart around (now it’s parked in a corner).

Pflaming,

I’ve been a “cat-guy” for way north of 50 years. I’ve got a shop cat, too. He’s a big boy—a Maine Coon, and he’s similarly colored as yours, altho’ yours has much longer fur. He’s beautiful.

Warmest personal regards to you both . . . . .

11 hours ago, pflaming said:

Oh, and I now have a shop cat again. This one showed up, so I fed him and he stayed! 

IMG_1958.JPG

This is one of the coolest looking cats I've ever seen.

16 hours ago, pflaming said:

Dodgeb4ya, how do they work, where installed? I no longer use my torch or welder inside my shop! My shop opens to the alley so I consider half of the alley an extension of my property and use it accordingly. So that is now my torch and welding area. 

IMG_1958.JPG

Did he/she bring matches with it??  :eek:

Feed the cat outside of the garage only!

DJ