Forced Induction Turbo/Super Charger Thread

55 Fargo

Hey all,

This thread will discuss and illustrate Chrysler Flathead 6 Turbocharging and Blowers.

I know very little about this topic and would like to learn more. What works what doesnt. Draw through, blow through, PSI, waste gates inter coolers piping and carbs etc.

Add your comments, pics, videos etc.

I will post some pics and videos l8ter in the thread too.

I did a seatch and not a meaningful amount of discussion and/ or projects have been undertaken...

Planning a small blow through for my 201 rebuild.  Will add info here as we get started.  I'll be interested to see what others have done.  Have seen youtube videos and have some ideas already.  

1 hour ago, thebeebe5 said:

Planning a small blow through for my 201 rebuild.  Will add info here as we get started.  I'll be interested to see what others have done.  Have seen youtube videos and have some ideas already.  

31 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Im going draw thru similar to that studabaker. I have 3 carbs and will do a progrssive linkage. Im gonna have to do rebuild i think. Will be making my own exhaust and intake. Ill take pics as i go. Planning to start this week. I contacted low bugget as they have new turbos with carbon seals

Great look forward to your builds Gents.

Please fo post along the way, then we can all learn something.

I'm hoping someone who has already done this on say a 230 or 265 can post some real world results and data with respect to HP, torque, and performance....

Look up Graham Paige.  Engines were very similar to Mopar in terms of cu in and HP.  They did a single carb draw through with a centrifugal super charger.  Their 226 cu in engine went from 95 HP to 115.  Kaiser Frazier also used super charger with about 4 to 6 psi boost with similar results on their continental engines that I think were 228 cubes.  There set up fed a pressure box surrounding the carb so the whole card functioned under pressure negating the leakage when the inside of the carb is under pressure an the float bowl is at 1 atmosphere. Corvair turbo ran about 7 PSL boost and added 10 HP.  The Oldsmobile F85 Jetfire put a small turbo on their little 215  v8 and that picked up about 10 HP, but it relied on a water denatured alcohol mix to control detonation.  If I were thinking along this vein I would consider sourcing a turbo from one of those Asian light to medium duty turbo diesel trucks, as the operational rpm range is more suited to a flathead six, than something of a Subaru WRX or similar.  Low compression gas engines are best suited to boosting as long as the crank and associated parts are in proper nick.  I had a 2.4 Liter Volvo wagon that made good power with the turbo.  Lots a those in junkyards, it too could be a good doner, it had a small air cooled intercooler that would probably work well also.  Now if you could find and apply an early Jeep 4.0 fuel injection set up you wouldn't need to trouble yourself with carb related issues.

Like i said ill need to do a rebuild as i have 20-25 oil pressure. I think i will be doing my own seperate oil cooler and oil supply for the turbo.

As for turbo size. I think one from a 2l would be good like from a subaru or saab. They are 2l engines running around 6-8 grand red line and ment to build peak torque round 2k rpm. With our 4l-ish engines our red lines are 3500 or so. That moves the same air as a 2l or 7k rpm

Back in the day (early 50s) when you would see ads for Mc Cullough superchargers and the like, they were not offered for Chrysler's sixes because as one article clearly implied the crankshaft would not be up to the extra stress.   Only one way to find out for sure.

10 minutes ago, dpollo said:

Back in the day (early 50s) when you would see ads for Mc Cullough superchargers and the like, they were not offered for Chrysler's sixes because as one article clearly implied the crankshaft would not be up to the extra stress.   Only one way to find out for sure.

This is an area I have no idea.

But having said this, these engines can spin to 5000 RPM without adverse affects, as long as the bottom end is in good shape. Now this is the words of renowned Mopar Flathead engine builder George Asche Jr., this RPM he quoted is without any modifications to the crank or bearing shells.

Now a Turbo boosted engine, might create further load and pressure along with the RPM, I really don't know.

But revving to 4500 should be no issues, and keeping Boost moderate and in perspective.

Maybe Mc Cullough had an Issue with Mopar period and marketed  their products as such...

17 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

aybe Mc Cullough had an Issue with Mopar period and marketed  their products as such...

Could be.  In over 50 years I have had very little crankshaft trouble .  Those that I did have were well advanced before I came into the picture, usually dirty oil or extreme abuse.  Recently though, I have had trouble with the 230 in my 50 Plymouth.  It has a spray welded crankshaft and the oil passages on some throws are restricted by material left from the welding process. Fortunately no damage to the journal surface has occurred  I will have to have a machine shop ream the passages and chamfer the openings.  I have prepared another engine with a NEW crankshaft and even had it balanced.

What is the fascination with high rpm?  After a certain point you are fighting piston speed and more frictional losses than can be overcome in long stroke design.  Any thing ever 3800 for a street vehicle is more about testosterone than technology.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, greg g said:

What is the fascination with high rpm?  After a certain point you are fighting piston speed and more frictional losses than can be overcome in long stroke design.  Any thing ever 3800 for a street vehicle is more about testosterone than technology.

Well of course,  but knowing it can be blasted to a higher RPM might assure its okay blasting to 4500 rpm on bursts for short periods of time.

Here is my well worn out 228 revving to 4000 RPM easily.

20171022_092119_resized_2.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

22 hours ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

As for turbo size. I think one from a 2l would be good like from a subaru or saab. They are 2l engines running around 6-8 grand red line and ment to build peak torque round 2k rpm. With our 4l-ish engines our red lines are 3500 or so. That moves the same air as a 2l or 7k rpm

I run a 2.5l Suby in my sand rail with a stock TD04 turbocharger. It spools quick and builds 12 psi of boost between 2500 and 3000 if I remember my dyno sheet correctly. Might be a good candidate and they are cheap and easy to find on eBay since everybody wants the bigger VF43. Also has a built in waste gate, and with a cheap control valve you can back that 12psi down to a more manageable pressure.

Back when I had a 2.0, I ran a VF11 turbo before upgrading to the TD04. It was a bit small for that engine just as a heads up.

Edited by 59bisquik