Steering box issue in 39 dodge tc

DONZIE

Hello guys new to forum...been watching a while but first post...great advise here & fun reading I've dug in the archives but can't find what I'm looking for 

i have recently did assembled cleaned & Inspected the gear box in my 39 dodge 1/2 ton pick up. All bearings & bushings in like new condition & gears are perfect....I filled it with fresh "cotton picker spindle grease'' as advised in another forum. Thing is it's adjusted as per shop manual & seems to work as normal but it is noisy. Moans & groans as though the gears are too tight but they are not...I've tried different settings but....I had this problem in plymouth pt50 in the early 70s but can't remember what it took to make it quiet...any help or thoughts would sure be appreciated

donzie

If the bearing and bushings are in good shape use the correct lube, SAE 90 Fluid Gear Lube.  The spindle grease is a short term fix for worn boxes/or ones where the seal is leaking. The shop manual has a detailed adjustment procedure.

• 3 months later...

BTW the shop manual says not to overfill the steering box.  However there's no dip stick so does anyone have any info on how to determine the proper fill level?

Also, the shop manual's first instruction to disassemble the steering box is to drain the fluid.  There's only two ways that I can figure out to accomplish this:  removal of the housing "cover and grease tube" from the lowest part of the steering box, or remove the whole steering assembly, then remove the filler plug and flip the box upside down.  Does this sound right to you?