OT - What's wrong with THIS picture ???

wldavis3

A "Speed Cushion"... !               Such a nice relaxing name for a traffic calming device.:D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

A "Speed Cushion"... !               Such a nice relaxing name for a traffic calming device.:D

I looked it up....thought it was odd also..but a speed cushion is often of rubber, designed to hinder the speed and flow of cars while the cuts in the cushions will allow wider track emergency vehicle to pass unaffected.....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Now that is funny. 42 years of over the road trucking and I've never seen a "speed cushion" sign.

Iowa is one big speed bump, er, well, I mean cushion. :D

"Gonna do a wheelie on that there gopher mound now, Smokey.
Can you dig it, Smokey?
Got four on the floor and four in the air on that one, didn't we?
Goodness gracious. 'Bout ta bust my shocks."

Roads where I live have pot holes instead of the "speed cushions".

I will say they've finally paved the road in front of my house. Before they did you could almost spit from patch to patch or hole the entire length of the road. When talking to the paving crew the foreman said, "Be careful coming out of your driveway and watch your kids, every time we pave a road seems like drivers double their speed". 

2 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

Roads where I live have pot holes instead 

We have at the end of our driveway a cast square culvert that carries the road over a small canal.  The roadway is aggregate and tar the culvert is concrete.  Between the salt, snow plows and freeze thaw cycles the seams between the materials always crater into pot holes. Hot patch and cold patch and frost heaving don't make the situation any better.  So after 20 years the state finally redid everything by taking out about 8 inches of tarmac and 4 inches of concrete and repaving not only the immediate surface but about 1/10 the mile on either side.  Before the repair it was not uncommon to have picture shaken off the walls, to be able to see 2 inches of air under truck wheels.  Also when scrap prices were high, I made 20 bucks collecting stuff that had been bounced out of pick ups and trailers as folks passed through our little mine field.  Now things are nice andquiet, clean and stuff stays on the walls, but yes traffic now adds 10 to the speed limit.  And I can see where the blend lines of new to old pavement is already deteriorating.  Well it hard been nice for three months.

This is cracking me up. Too funny.:lol:

Years ago there was a trucking company with the logo "Humpin' To Please" on the side of their trailers.

Humpin To Please (150 x 120).jpg

Edited by Trucker Tim

2 hours ago, Trucker Tim said:

This is cracking me up. Too funny.:lol:

Years ago there was a trucking company with the logo "Humpin' To Please" on the side of their trailers.

Humpin To Please (150 x 120).jpg

Like to have a shirt! lol

8 hours ago, greg g said:

My road leads to a lake access and campground,  I get all kinds boat trash.  Life jackets, floats etc. I was mowing next to the road last summer and mower hit something. It was a "golden rule " ( type of fishing ruler to measure keeper or not ).

I came out one day and noticed something in the road. On closer inspection I noticed it was the mesh type folding ramp/ tailgate  from a trailer. I stood it up next to a tree right next to where it came off thinking someone might come back for it.  It sat there for 3weeks leaned against the tree. A guy at work came in to the maint shop one day and asked if we had any scrap angle iron, he wanted to build a tail gate for his trailer. I said I'm going to really hook you up and brought it to him, said it worked great. That was 2-3 years ago. Found out recently a guy that lives 5 miles up the road that also works at the plant lost a trailer ramp / tail gate in aprox the same time frame. He couldn't pinpoint where he lost it but I think I know.

Hey Flatie46.

I am not a big e-bay guy but here you go!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campbell-66-Vintage-Style-T-shirt-Humpin-To-Please-Trucking-Memorabilia-/152445153319

History

HOW A CAMEL AND A BULLDOG CAME TOGETHER

https://campbell66express.wordpress.com/category/history/

s-l300.jpg

We have 2 boats right now, one of them is for sale. I can't believe somebody lost a tailgate and didn't back track for it???????

Edited by Trucker Tim

Thanks for the link Tim, I ain't much on Ebay either but I think Ill buy one.  Liked the history link also.  I liked the pics of the old Mack's. Several years ago we had a load of steel come in the plant hauled by a 60's Autocar I talked to the driver he had done sort of a restomod to it, more modern engine and trans combo. He said he really liked driving it on shorter hauls but he said  it wasn't very practical. It was nice to see a vintage truck still doing it's job, everybody had to give it a look. 

Yea that's why I stood that gate up. I thought the guy that lost it would have got home and crapped a brick when noticed it was gone. I see all the time though people move and stuff fall out or off a trailer.  Cushions are common but I have see where a chair had fell out.  Maybe they saw the chair fall out and said, "welp that's screwed" and didn't slow down.

Ladders are the biggest hazard on the interstates through the area here.

And the Campbell 66 Express had a different motto for their reefers: "Humpin' to freeze".  They were out of NJ, I think.

Correction: based out of Springfield, MO.  The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Edited by lonejacklarry

I've hit a couple of bricks over the years in big city's. Never a ladder, although a good Friend totaled a Volvo on I-80 when he hit a ladder & bicycles that fell off a motorhome. Had another Buddy total a Freightliner in OK when he hit a heard of cattle in the middle of the night. I was one lucky truckdriver. Key word, "lucky".

I've never heard of the Campbell 66 refer trucks. That's funny. :D I found this picture of an "Ole Boy" Humpin' To Freeze" on the internet. Burrrrrr Cold.

Don't think the "Harlem Hussy" will ever see snow again. Got a nice big shop to sit in now.

1948 Snow.jpg

23 hours ago, Trucker Tim said:

Those Campbell trucks were a regular sight in this part of the country. The company was based in Springfield, Mo. 

On 12/8/2017 at 10:05 PM, wldavis3 said:

street.jpg

white car might be actually under power climbing the hill, and the car on the left might be legally parked in a small parking area (we have them here in the CIties in places)

I used to run-around up there in the "Twin-City's".

waltruck.gif

Our 1952 Dodge M37 came from Forest Lake MN. 30 below the day we picked her up!

01-23-09 LORI'S M37 DSCF6741 (300 x 225).jpg

Edited by Trucker Tim