Edmonds Head qestions and problems

packratc

When I bought my P19 two years ago it came with an offy twin carb manifold and an Edmonds aluminum head but not on thr motor. They head looks like it had been bolted down at some time because it has washer scars around the head bolts. It might have been sandblasted or something but the rest of it looks unused. The Edmonds head has helicoils in each hole. Did it come that way new? Could they have been added to reduce the diameter of the sparkplug hole? Who's got the cam to use with this set up? Who's got advise as to whether or not I should go this route or should I just split the manifold and go with the two B&B carburators? (Engine is already out as it had crankshaft issues not revealed by previous owner. Never's happened before, has it.)

Put up a picture of your head showing the combustion chamber side.  Now do a little test for head integrity, cover all the cooling passages with good duct tape.  Including the thermostat and temp gauge sending bport.  Leave the heater tap open.  Get your compressor going with outlet pressure set for 15 psi or so.  Wrap some masking tape or elect tape around your blow gun so it fits snugly in the heater supply port.  Pressurize the coolant passages and listen.  If you hear a leak in the taped areas apply more tape to seal repressurizeand listen again.  If you hear any leakage between the fins or elsewhere on the surface, the head is no good.  If you hear leaks but can't see them put two or three ounces of antifreeze or water with food color down the heater port and put the air back to it.  That should highlight any leaks. You might try to have them fixed if you have a shop in your area competent in aluminum welding.  My experience was not positive.

What enginer you putting it on? 218 or 230? Did you see the pic I posted in the thread on head milling.  Does yours look like mine? 

Edited by greg g

Helicoils are not standard, but are not uncommon by now.  I used Timeserts on my Edmunds head.  There is no special cam for this head, you can use any cam that works with a stock head.  Please be aware that the stock head uses a 3/8" reach sparkplug, while the Edmunds head is set up for a 1/2" reach sparkplug, which are not too common.

Marty

Good replies, both. By the condition of this head I'd be very suprised of it's cracked. The previous owner had not run it.  My question as to the cam,  I knew that there wouldn't be cam just for this head but was seeking advise or recommendations as to who has/makes one that has proven good results with the aluminum headed engines. I'm putting this on the orininal 218.

I am running a stock cam with milled stock head and deck the yields apx 8 to 1 cr.  The cam situation is one of clearance between head and valve.  I believe the Edmund's head was just south of 9 to 1 depending on gasket thickness and assuming the deck was stock.  So do you need a lumpy can? Not really, but you do need to watch timing and octane rating to keep pre ignition at bay at the risk of broken pistons. They do look sweet though.

I run an Edmunds head- milled, but I don't know how much. Just enough to get it flat-  with the stock cam, tube headers, and Edmunds dual intake. I had my Carter B&B carbs re-jetted by George Asche and the whole setup works great together.

I think without re-jetting it would run kind of rich.

My Edmunds setup had a cleanup cut on the head, a mild cam, cast iron headers into full dual exhaust, an Edmunds intake manifold with dual Carter-Webers from Langdon.  It runs really nice with the out-of-the-box jetting from Langdon.  It came out just over 9 to 1 compression, and does have to run 91 octane gas to cut down on the pre-ignition.

Marty

Hugh Forrest, Do you recommend that I send my intake and carburators off to Ashe and let him do his thing on them along with steeing up the linkage? What carburators did you end up with? Is the extra money worth it for headers versus my friend adding another outlet and block-off plate to my stock manifold? Thanks, Carl

• Like 1

George doesn't need your stuff.  Call him tell him what you have,he will set up the carbs accordingly.  Either redo yours or take yours in credit exchange for his.  His linkage is stainless steel and mounts under the carbs.  You might also want to get a pair of phenolic spacers to raise the CD carbs an inch. As the aftermarket intakes don't carry the carbs ads high as the stock one.  Langdon has them for about $ 15 or so.  Need longer studs and a couple extra caskets.  You need manifold to spacer, spacer to linkage mount, linkage mount to carb gaskets.  Make sure the top on is properly slotted to provide vacuum to your step up jet vacuum port on the bottom of the carb.

Edited by greg g

Greg is right about just exchanging with George if he has the carbs you need on hand (which he probably does). Linkage wouldn't be hard to do yourself, but again he probably has all the little bits right on his workbench. You'll be scratching your head and chasing parts around. I don't know what George charges anymore, but I'll bet it is worth it to just get it from him.

I didn't need any spacers with my Edmunds intake so I can't speak to that.

I suspect the headers add more coolness and bragging rights than horsepower.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:06 PM, packratc said:

When I bought my P19 two years ago it came with an offy twin carb manifold and an Edmonds aluminum head but not on thr motor. They head looks like it had been bolted down at some time because it has washer scars around the head bolts. It might have been sandblasted or something but the rest of it looks unused. The Edmonds head has helicoils in each hole. Did it come that way new? Could they have been added to reduce the diameter of the sparkplug hole? Who's got the cam to use with this set up? Who's got advise as to whether or not I should go this route or should I just split the manifold and go with the two B&B carburators? (Engine is already out as it had crankshaft issues not revealed by previous owner. Never's happened before, has it.)

The edmunds head never had helicoils so you can pretty much be assured the threads were getting corroded.    It shouldnt have an effect one way or another. You will likely need spark plugs with a slightly longer reach. I used Bosch Platinums wp8   and 2 washers on mine.    On Cams as others have pointed out you dont need a cam with the head, but certainly if the bearings are good in the bottom end it will wake things up.  Id discuss that with George Asche.  I believe currently the cost for him to rebuild your carb(s) with full kits is $195.  Even if your two carbs are not identical when he ships a pair back to you they are identical.    If you dont have linkage then I would ship the carbs and intake to George as he will then build the carbs on the intake as well as the linkage and have everything adjusted for you.    Id also highly recommend sending your stock exhaust and making them into Headers.   Its more cost effective than buying fentons and in my opinion, looks nicer. Unlike some, my opinion is splitting the exhaust is the greatest single improvement you can make on the engine.  Stock you have way to much backpressure in the front of the engine.  George's number is  814-354-2621.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2017 at 9:31 PM, oldasdirt said:

The edmunds head never had helicoils so you can pretty much be assured the threads were getting corroded.    It shouldnt have an effect one way or another. You will likely need spark plugs with a slightly longer reach. I used Bosch Platinums wp8   and 2 washers on mine.    On Cams as others have pointed out you dont need a cam with the head, but certainly if the bearings are good in the bottom end it will wake things up.  Id discuss that with George Asche.  I believe currently the cost for him to rebuild your carb(s) with full kits is $195.  Even if your two carbs are not identical when he ships a pair back to you they are identical.    If you dont have linkage then I would ship the carbs and intake to George as he will then build the carbs on the intake as well as the linkage and have everything adjusted for you.    Id also highly recommend sending your stock exhaust and making them into Headers.   Its more cost effective than buying fentons and in my opinion, looks nicer. Unlike some, my opinion is splitting the exhaust is the greatest single improvement you can make on the engine.  Stock you have way to much backpressure in the front of the engine.  George's number is  814-354-2621.  

Thanx OAD refreshing when accurate and reliable info is presented.

Yes George Ache Carbs are King.

Have a matched set and his custom linkage well built and great prices..

• Like 1