Studs for rear drums?

pflaming

Drums off?  Grind the rivets, separate the drum from hub.take the drum and hub to a machine shop.  Tell them what size studs to want and if you want to keep right and left threads.  They will drill out the threads, press in the studs, and drill the drums to clear the studs.  Leave the rivets out as the drums will now self center on the studs.  Put the hubs back on the axles. Then the drums over the studs.  Biggest advantage, next time you need to service the rears,you won't need the puller.  Why involve the machine shop?  Accuracy of centering for drilling, drilling vertical holes, availability of a hydraulic press.  And cuz you need to spend some of that government money...

I got the 718-8235 studs from Jegs. 1/2''-20 x 1-1/2" .615'' Knurl.

Then grab a 39/64" drill bit.

Also as stated above, grind the rivets first and separate the two pieces. Much easier to service brakes when the drums just slide off.

Edited by 59bisquik

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 6:45 AM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Come to the SF Bay Area and get my 49 Dodge rear axle. It has the drums you need and was apart 10 years ago for new brakes etc.  FREE

Adam

I'm looking for front and rear drums for a 1949 B 1D 1 ton (6 stud). Do you have any such things

• 2 weeks later...