1954 flat head throttle linkage help!

Gman

Can anyone please post a pic of where the throttle return spring hooks up? I can’t figure it out for the life of me. I pulled the motor 2 weeks ago and am about to reinstall and can’t figure it out. Thanks for any help. 

The picture below shows where it hooks to at the carburetor. The other end of the spring hooks up to a cotter pin through a hole in the floorboard, no sh!t. Look for the hole directly behind the linkage in the upper part of the removable floorboard. Never mind the call out. The spring in question is in the lower left corner.

throttle linkages.jpg

Edited by johnsartain

Seems I remember looking at a photo that shows 2 springs, thought it was some sort of official repair manual. Besides the spring in the photo above, the other spring went from linkage to inner fender.

Honestly 2 springs never made sense to me, I always see the spring that goes from linkage to toe kick, but not second spring from linkage to inner fender.

Then when I realized the carb goes to wide open throttle if spring falls off, the second spring makes sense for safety.

Something to think about.

Not sure about the 54....but the 48-53's have two. One is connected to the linkage rear of the engine to the foot board.

the second is 90 degrees coming from the carb to the splash shield (inner fender).

Here's one of my first videos....really should redo it. :)

"Throttle return Springs"

48D    

42 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

Not sure about the 54....but the 48-53's have two. One is connected to the linkage rear of the engine to the foot board.

the second is 90 degrees coming from the carb to the splash shield (inner fender).

Here's one of my first videos....really should redo it. :)

"Throttle return Springs"

48D    

Dodger, do you have a picture or video of where the spring  from the carburetor attaches to the inner fender? I see the hole in the carbs throttle linkage but am curious as to what the attachment to the inner fender looks like. That could explain some things.

I have 7 to 10 1/2 tons laying around and it seems the common attachment is a hole in the splash shield that the spring loops through.

The hole used, is about waist height, say above the tire. I've seen other ways it was attached to the shield, thou nothing in the manuals. 

48D

Here's another video that shows the B&B carb location for the spring....but no inner location images.....guess I know what vid I'll make next. lol

"Identification notes" 

Edited by 48Dodger

8 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

I have 7 to 10 1/2 tons laying around and it seems the common attachment is a hole in the splash shield that the spring loops through.

The hole used, is about waist height, say above the tire. I've seen other ways it was attached to the shield, thou nothing in the manuals. 

48D

Here's another video that shows the B&B carb location for the spring....but no inner location images.....guess I know what vid I'll make next. lol

"Identification notes" 

I looked when I got home this afternoon and found the hole, or a hole. Next question is if it is the same size of spring and does it attach to the eye of a cotter pin like the other? If the spring is different is there a length of the coil or something, that could help out in getting the right part or reasonable facsimile.