Correct primer color

Gregarious13

13 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the inner trunk and under the hood were known as eco-sheen and vary in color from plant to plant and often year to year....todays paint formula and color of choice will often dictate the primer color 

Fair enough, thanks for the info on the eco-sheen!

Greg

From working on our 48 Desoto, that green color was used on everything over the bare steel, but the exterior on the Desoto had a brown/dark red primmer under the black top coat. I have the paint code from matching the green trunk color if you need it. 

39 minutes ago, 52b3b Joe said:

From working on our 48 Desoto, that green color was used on everything over the bare steel, but the exterior on the Desoto had a brown/dark red primmer under the black top coat. I have the paint code from matching the green trunk color if you need it. 

That's great information! Thanks.

Yes, I would like to have that paint code.

Greg

2 hours ago, Gregarious13 said:

That's great information! Thanks.

Yes, I would like to have that paint code.

Greg

See the pictures. I matched it to and single stage Valspar urethane, so I'm not sure how it will transfer to other brands. Keep in mind, this is the match to what our 48 Desoto is, and like Tim said the color varied from plant to plant and year to year. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

I mixed my own on comparison to a buffed up section in the trunk and tweaked till it dried "spot on"   Enamel, catalyzed, high grade reducer and fisheye eliminator added when mixed.  Not that hard to do and as it varies year to year plant to plant....MAY be your best approach...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Red oxide was used by nearly every auto maker in the US through the 60s. My 50 Plymouth had it (built in San Leandro).

The dark green was used on body surfaces that were not body color like the inside of the trunk. I have no idea if it was used under my hood since the original buyer paid for undercoating. That crap works well since there is zero rot on the body in the areas I took the time to scrape it off. 

--Brian

• Thanks 1

as noted above, red oxide was popular and contained significant amounts of lead.   Dupont used a black primer which resulted in a lot of peeling hoods on 53 models

and I have found this same material on fenders on 50  Plymouths where top coats also tended to get unstuck on fenders.  Also noted ,above, modern primers can be matched to the top coat which allows for better  results when the top coat is fairly translucent.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the good info here! I assumed it would be red oxide primer but couldn't tell on my car as the paint is all missing and what's good I will probably keep intact (door jambs and such) I like the idea of having some of the original paint still on the car, just something fun for me. I am also not going to do a full restoration, rather just repair the rotten spots and paint the exterior to match the door jambs and possibly antique the paint a bit to match. That's why I wanted the correct color of the primer. Still haven't fully decided on this yet but keeping it as an option. Projects change direction quickly when in the heat of the moment.

thanks a bunch,

Greg