1947 Chrysler Windsor garage find finished

Uberchin

After purchasing a '47 Chrysler Windsor 4dr that had been sitting in a garage for over 8 years, I have finally got it to a point that I feel the car deserves. The previous owner past away a few months ago and had the vehicle stored away untouched as he was getting too old to maintain or drive it. The widow sold it to me for a great price since she knew I would restore the car back to its original glory and keep it in my family, and most importantly, DRIVE IT. It took me several weeks to accomplish but now the engine runs beautifully with a cleaned up engine compartment and the paint has been properly hand buffed and waxed. The interior was already in great shape but I am meticulously going through and replacing any dash wiring that needs attention due to dry rot. All fluids have been replaced except for the fluid drive since I haven't been able to source the fluid; finding the tranny fluid (SAE 10W) was hard enough to finally locate at TSC. I'm very proud on how she turned out and was able to give the original owner's widow a ride in it today. She was amazed on how it turned out which made me very happy. 

2017-12-07 18.57.35.jpg

2017-12-07 18.59.05.jpg

Edited by Uberchin
Add pictures
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap! Finding a late 40's Chrysler that complete and with chrome that nice was a major score!

Thanks.  The chrome does have some pitting but I was able to pull all of the rust specks out using Quick-Glo Chrome Cleaner.

Does anyone know where to source the Fluid Drive Fluid?  I can't find any place that carries the ISO 22 or 32 fluid; I think that's correct (I wrote it down somewhere??).

Wonderful job on a nice car!

To have all that pot metal grille that nice and shiny...oooh weeee!:)

Nice score man, what a beautiful car.  And nice work getting it all cleaned up.  Happy to hear that you're going to drive it.  I think that's something a lot of people forget when it comes to their classic cars.  

I've read some old posts and people recommend NOT changing the fluid in the fluid drive coupling.  If its full (and not leaking, etc.) leave it alone.  That's what I ended up doing with my Meadowbrook, even after I had purchased 2.5 gallons of ISO 32 from a local Fleet Farm with the intention of draining and replacing it.  If you're determined to change the oil in it anyway, and can't find this viscosity, lmk and I'll send you mine for cost.  Just PM me if you get to that point.  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Uberchin said:

The interior was already in great shape

Beautiful car!  Can't wait to see some pictures of the interior as well...  There's nothing quite like the feeling of cleaning up an original old car - they're only original once!  Very nice work!

7 hours ago, Worden18 said:

Nice score man, what a beautiful car.  And nice work getting it all cleaned up.  Happy to hear that you're going to drive it.  I think that's something a lot of people forget when it comes to their classic cars.  

I've read some old posts and people recommend NOT changing the fluid in the fluid drive coupling.  If its full (and not leaking, etc.) leave it alone.  That's what I ended up doing with my Meadowbrook, even after I had purchased 2.5 gallons of ISO 32 from a local Fleet Farm with the intention of draining and replacing it.  If you're determined to change the oil in it anyway, and can't find this viscosity, lmk and I'll send you mine for cost.  Just PM me if you get to that point.  :)

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm just going to check the level and top off if necessary. I flew helicopters in the US Navy for 24yrs and our saying was, "If it ain't broke, don't break it!" 

I'll try to get some good pics of the interior to post this weekend; blue molehair. I still need to find a way to clean the stains out of the original headliner; I was thinking of having it professionally dry cleaned...

Also, does anyone know how to remove the back deck behind the rear seats? The material is all torn up and I want to reupholster it. Thanks.

20171110_161951.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 40Club said:

The good news is they are available. That's where the good news ends.

• Thanks 1

This car's got me drooling!  Beautiful!  Interesting heater in a car of this nature.  You'd think it would have a pair of the DeLuxe heaters.  But maybe that wasn't necessary if it was originally delivered in Florida?

Uberchin, love the Chrysler, I had one back in the mid 70's, there apparently were 12 Windsor 4dr sedans brought out for official Govt use, mine had the Highlander upholstery and was in unrestored but driveable condition, I had it for about 18 months then sold it and had to deliver it so early one sunday morning I drove it about 20kms down the main highway to its new owner, luckily I didn't get caught as it was not registered by then and would have been a hefty fine if I got caught.............I had had my 1940 Dodge for about 4-5 yrs by then and could not get over how much bigger the Windsor was compared to the Dodge...........anyway thanks for the pics, feel free to post more as I for one would love to see some more.......thanks & regards, Andy Douglas       

img005 (6).jpg

12 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Uberchin, love the Chrysler, I had one back in the mid 70's, there apparently were 12 Windsor 4dr sedans brought out for official Govt use, mine had the Highlander upholstery and was in unrestored but driveable condition, I had it for about 18 months then sold it and had to deliver it so early one sunday morning I drove it about 20kms down the main highway to its new owner, luckily I didn't get caught as it was not registered by then and would have been a hefty fine if I got caught.............I had had my 1940 Dodge for about 4-5 yrs by then and could not get over how much bigger the Windsor was compared to the Dodge...........anyway thanks for the pics, feel free to post more as I for one would love to see some more.......thanks & regards, Andy Douglas       

img005 (6).jpg

Andy, very cool. I love the old Polaroids.I try hard to get pictures of my cars, kids, and places so that I can look back and remember snapshots in time. I'll post more pics tomorrow. 

Polaroids???...........nah thats a pic from an old 35mm camera I, tho' it may have been from the oval shaped Kodac Brownie...........lol.........andyd  

On 12/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, Uberchin said:

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm just going to check the level and top off if necessary. I flew helicopters in the US Navy for 24yrs and our saying was, "If it ain't broke, don't break it!" 

As a Naval aviation enlisted man AMH1, Our saying was eff it, fly it......lol. Since you are walking and talking I'm guessing you never lost a Jesus nut.......Does your fluid drive coupling work properly? If so leave it alone, it requires no maintenance, think of it as a constant speed drive for a emergency genny....pretty much bullet proof.....resist the temptation...it doesn't need a 7/14 day.

• Like 1