choice sound in vintage Dodge truck

kendall

While dealing with my see thru floor project, I glanced at my firewall and it gave me a cockeyed grin back so I ripped it out. Ive been toying with installing a compatible sound system for the truck anyway. Here's my solution and it's not going to make the boys working 'install' at the back of Circuit City any busier either. A Marshall Kilburn, wireless bluetooth, 20 hour between 120v. charges. Monoural, centered in the cab, and tilted in your face. Nostalgic looking and sounding. It's also free-standing like the heater next to it. No wires, no holes, no power from the truck. "U-Tube rocks and all you need!" Here are some progress shots. 1/2" solid oak off the shelf at H.D..  Two 5/16" s.s. buttonhead  allenbolts are all that will hold this to the firewall. I had to enlarge the  existing metal grommet-surround and the firewall holes.IMG_5032.jpg.9add5ca6178b04e84f537ceed90b62d9.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

did a look see on e-bay...quite expensive set up...ad did not go into operational parameters....I am sure it would not suit me...I have a flip phone and asked the company to lock any and all text and internets applications.  So no tunes for me via smart phone so I bought ....https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remote-Radio-SECRET-AUDIO-SST-Hidden-Stereo-with-Aux-USB-in-e/222265646881?hash=item33c0109f21:g:d7MAAOxy9eVRL5Us&vxp=mtr

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

So the Marshall head, bolts to that....and the four 10's stack is stuffed behind the seat? Awesome!!! :D

48"Jimi"D

Edited by 48Dodger

9 hours ago, kendall said:

While dealing with my see thru floor project, I glanced at my firewall and it gave me a cockeyed grin back so I ripped it out. Ive been toying with installing a compatible sound system for the truck anyway. Here's my solution and it's not going to make the boys working 'install' at the back of Circuit City any busier either. A Marshall Kilburn, wireless bluetooth, 20 hour between 120v. charges. Monoural, centered in the cab, and tilted in your face. Nostalgic looking and sounding. It's also free-standing like the heater next to it. No wires, no holes, no power from the truck. "U-Tube rocks and all you need!" Here are some progress shots. 1/2" solid oak off the shelf at H.D..  Two 5/16" s.s. buttonhead  allenbolts are all that will hold this to the firewall. I had to enlarge the  existing metal grommet-surround and the firewall holes.IMG_5032.jpg.9add5ca6178b04e84f537ceed90b62d9.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

Geez Kendall, Do you ever sleep? JK. Thanks for this post. This is exactly what i have been looking for!

IMG_5040.jpg.d50deaf06429a32552450dfcbf53bf95.jpgIMG_5033.jpg.9dea6745f11fdafa4755af96c6dcfe7d.jpg5a29a44a6b0a7_IMG_5025(1).jpg.1015845951b1f6963613ab50971b1d7f.jpgBear in mind the 47 and earlier years of Dodge truck had no provision for sound and has pressed steel ribbing in the dash where a radio and speaker would normally be mounted. Later models have prominent speakers in the dash and may lessen the need for this mod.  The driver's view of the unit shows minimal (just enough) clearance for the cowl vent lever and disengaged hand-brake. There is ample blind access to reach the top controls if necessary but my phone controls all play functions. IMG_5040.jpg.d50deaf06429a32552450dfcbf53bf95.jpgIn the first snap, the grommet surround becomes two pieces (as opposed to clam action) when drilled for the 5/16" buttonhead bolts but it functions better that way anyway. In the second snap, the aluminum shelf and brackets that I used could easily be built from 3 pieces of 1/4" oak. As an aside, my heater finally looks comfortable as it is flush with the speaker. They are ugly creatures.

4 hours ago, kendall said:

IMG_5040.jpg.d50deaf06429a32552450dfcbf53bf95.jpgear in mind the 47 and earlier years of Dodge truck had no provision for sound and has pressed steel ribbing in the dash where a radio and speaker would normally be mounted. Later models have prominent speakers in the dash and may lessen the need for this mod.  The driver's view of the unit shows minimal (just enough) clearance for the cowl vent lever and disengaged hand-brake. There is ample blind access to reach the top controls if necessary but my phone controls all play functions. 

The postwar trucks don't have as many ribs so they could be a little more easily modified if one wanted to. Controlling from the phone sounds like a better idea though.