Engine Removal

C.C. Rider

Front end "dog house" removal youtube video (s)

Here's some videos I did 7 years ago on how to remove the front sheet metal.

Really helps to clear the way for engine removal.

I realize you have a "D" size truck, but the deal is the same.

48D

p.s. hope you enjoy the others videos too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on videos that cover things that are not made obvious in the manuals.

For example the lowest midline manifold nut that is "hidden".

The benefit of the videos is the fact that a lot of trucks/engines have been sitting around for a long time,

so parts that should loosen up are "frozen" and can cause confusion to someone attempting their first teardown.

Sometimes a video is the next best thing to a classroom, which is where most textbooks/manuals are reviewed and explained.

I'm hardly a teacher, but I do like sharing what I know. The beauty of a tool like Youtube is you get to hear back from other viewers.

If something has been missed or rings true, you may read that in the comment section.

I believe you can say the same thing about a forum, its not the manual, but its a great way to "talk" the problem out.

48D

Edited by 48Dodger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, C.C. Rider said:

I've got the top pretty much cleared of any clearance issues, just having a hard time find out how to unhook the engine from the bell-housing

I can only guess that you don't plan on pulling the  ' doghouse ' as suggested , which would easily give you enough room to pull the engine and the bell housing together . I can only also assume that you have disconnected the drive shaft and removed the transmission . Now you will need to support the rear of the engine  , probably with blocks of wood because the engine is supported by the rear mounts on the bell housing . Assuming the you do not want to remove your clutch and flywheel at this time , there are a couple of steel dowell pins that you must drive in part way to get the clearance needed to now remove the bell housing after removing the bolts .  You also might have enough room to pull the engine and bell housing together but you would need to angle everything downward to the rear when pulling and then straighten the load back to level to get the load out . A load leveler can be used for this purpose . 

35 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

I can only guess that you don't plan on pulling the  ' doghouse ' as suggested , which would easily give you enough room to pull the engine and the bell housing together . I can only also assume that you have disconnected the drive shaft and removed the transmission . Now you will need to support the rear of the engine  , probably with blocks of wood because the engine is supported by the rear mounts on the bell housing . Assuming the you do not want to remove your clutch and flywheel at this time , there are a couple of steel dowell pins that you must drive in part way to get the clearance needed to now remove the bell housing after removing the bolts .  You also might have enough room to pull the engine and bell housing together but you would need to angle everything downward to the rear when pulling and then straighten the load back to level to get the load out . A load leveler can be used for this purpose . 

Yeah I don't have the space to remove the dog house. As far as the rear mounts, where exactly are they located.