Rearend drain plug tool

tanda62

When looking to drain the oil from the rear end, I noticed the plug is a square and an odd size.  Found this plumbing tool and with a little cutting, I now have a wrench to open the drain. Hope this helps someone.

Also needed new rubber for my silent U brackets and found cutting a 3/4 heater hose to size fits and will keep the dirt out.

rear end drain plug.gif

rear end drain plug tool.gif

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Should be 5/16” square. You could make a tool out of a piece of key stock, or purchase a proper square socket, available at most tool venders. 

Thanks Merle, cannot recall ever using a 5/16 square on a rear axle before...but to be honest, last dodge truck I worked that was of this era was a 1952 model in about 1969 (replaced the rear axle as an assembly on that job)....too many wrenches and wenches since then.  I do recall the shop having a multi size drain plug wrench and that explains the special ground 3/8th extension I have in my collection from years ago

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

9 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

... that explains the special ground 3/8th extension I have in my collection from years ago

LOL... I suppose that's another way to do it. :D The first time I came across this I didn't have the proper tool either. I found a square shank punch in my tool box that was the right size. Together with an adjustable wrench I was able to get the plug out. I now have the proper sockets. (Another excuse to buy tools B) )

Here's a socket at Amazon for $13 https://smile.amazon.com/SK-Hand-8-inch-Socket-16-inch/dp/B000OGYD5S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1512564649&sr=8-9&keywords=drain+plug+socket

31ARch-C1+L._AC_US218_.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tanda62 said:

I should have thought about Amazon - they have everything it seems.  My local hardware stores did not have any tools 5/16 square which is why I ended up modifying the plumbing tool.

necessity is the mother of invention...if you waited around for the right time or the right tool often many things will never get accomplished...

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 7:29 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

necessity is the mother of invention...if you waited around for the right time or the right tool often many things will never get accomplished...

Waiting for the right time or right  tool isn’t necessarily bad. Please pass the beer and pizza.