wet blasting

homer41

Has anyone done wet blasting using a pressure washer? I have a pressure washer and was thinking of wet blasting my 41 plymouth. All comments are appreciated.  Dave

I think the big issue would be the amount of water needed to blast the old paint off and then the metal would be wet and then get rusty especially where you could not dry the metal.  No sure if this is a good idea.

Rich Hartung

41 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I was looking at Dustless Blasting's site about this and they state that they use a rust inhibitor in their water to counter this problem. Something to consider...

From their FAQ page;

image.png.5ff3229c518f48a9e13f23d77f030682.png

I wonder how that special rust inhibitor plays with primer and other paint,and what steps you have to go through to remove it completely in order to be able to paint the metal.

There ain't no such thing as a free ride.

72 hours is not any rust hold out protection at all...I have bare metal out in the yard, welded onto the body, treated only with my anti-rust product, no primer or paint and 5 months later, through condensation and rain etc...still zero rust...now that is hold out...as for the primer on treated metal....check the contents of the latest 2k primers...this will come close to answering the effect of phosphoric and primer as they are combined and applied at the same time.

as an aside....and knowing about soda blasting and having seen it used since the 80's, here is a note you may find interesting.....some intricate metal objects of soft aluminum will benefit from this method, as will fiberglass substrates in the hands of a trained professional using the media...

SODA, (Soda Bicarbonate)   is relatively soft and is used to remove paint and other materials where it is desired not to leave any profile on the substrate.  Caution about soda.  All paint manufactures in the auto industry will void their warranty if the vehicle has been stripped by "Soda Blasting" 

I do paint and body for a living. We typically use pladtic chips to blast the paint off. Then all seam sealer/fillers are removed by hand. After all metal work is done, we glass blast then straight to epoxy primer. Many years and many card done this way with great results. 

I had my Jeep Scrambler body blasted with DuPont starbright. The guy that did it was a professional, did a great job. I had him shoot it in epoxy primer before it left his shop because I didn't want rust to get started. He agreed, but he also mentioned that after blasting with the starbright it normally wouldn't rust for a while even if exposed to moisture. He said if you handled bare metal after blasting with it, it would rust. 

My buddies high end 57 Desoto was blasted with same stuff. Has a really nice paint job,  no ill effects, been painted for going on 2yrs now.

I have all my projects media blasted, Dustless blasting is only good for removing paint, IT DOES NOT WORK ON RUST contrary to what they say. I've witnessed it with my  eyes. The guy was touting all its virtues and my friend said ok wait show us how well it works on his (mine) rusted 55 Chevy body, it doesn't.

Yes there is a chemical in it to prevent rust but then again there talking flash rust, if you strip the paint off a car and keep it inside it will last a long time before it starts to flash rust, there is a product called Gibbs used a lot by the custom car crowd who like to show their metal working skills off, it expensive but I have a fender sitting out in a shed sprayed with Gibbs for a year and a half and it hasn't rusted, but the easy fix is spray it with epoxy primer as soon as it's blasted. I'll be sending my 48 coupe body to him soon I'll post pics.