oil filter

ushp12

I am wanting to change my " Sealed Oil Filter " on my '40 Plymouth p10 to a canister type.  On ebay there is a canister type no. 2909326 oil filter for '49-'54 mopars with flathead engines.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that filter can be used on my '40 201 cu.in..   Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks

All the sealed canister filters and replaceable element oil filters that i have seen are essentially the same type of filter, the difference is whether you throw the whole canister away or you undo the top nut or clamp around the filter body and remove & replace the element..........there would be dozens of different brands of these made over the past 70 or more years and the inlet/outlet fittings and exactly where they are on the filter is the main thing to check as you may have to adjust or make new lines to connect to the specific filter you get......my 41 Plymouth coupe didn't have any filter so being a hotrodder I decided to get a finned Beehive Filter which had the benefit of being finned for supposedly some oil cooling effect but was also nice & shiney, see attached pic, Speedway Motors have these ...............anyway hope this helps........as for the questions as to whether the ebay filter is o/k to use I'd check with the seller..............regards from Oz.........andyd   

IMG_1543.JPG

• Thanks 1

A couple of years ago I looked up the various oil filter element part numbers for my 1939 Plymouth with the 201. Here is what I came up with:

WIX 51080
NAPA FIL 1080   (made by Wix)
FRAM C134PL
AC PF316
Purolator L20700

-Pete

There is no problem using a canister filter on a 201.  Just make sure the pressure line goes into the side or the top and the return goes into the vertical hole above the pressure relief valve.

Thanks to everyone that responded, the info was very valuable.