tie rod

JPP

I replaced my tie rod ends yesterday and the tie rod had a small bend 10' from the ends on both sides, it looked intentional.  I think the tie rod should be straight so as to allow for alignment when on the truck, lossen the clamp bolts and rotate shaft in or out depending on alignment.  Is this true?

Any tricks for safely straiten one?  I remember years ago bending one in a 1959 chebby hoopty out in the sand dunes, bend it back and be fine, rub the tire against the curb and it would bend really easy and have to fix it again.

Do we need to heat these up and make them straight then quench in oil or something to keep their shape?

When I found mine bent, I just made a new one. I really hate the pinch style ends anyways so it was a good excuse to upgrade. Below is my solution with .250 wall DOM tubing and weld in bungs. Then just add jamb nuts to the tie rod ends. I get all my fab stuff at RuffStuffSpecialties.com.

Tie%20Rods%202_zps5fzyfz1k.jpg

IMG_0363_zpsuahbatyg.jpg

• Like 1

Making your own is great, except most people don’t have the r/h thread tap, little pen the l/h thread one to build it...but a machine show could likely build one for you.

best way (if possible) to straighten tube is to get another pipe that it JUST fits into, make it about 2’ long and slide the bent tube in, and when you get to the bend, warm up everything to where it will move and hammer it through quickly to straighten it out...quick is the key and the right amount of heat..that will straighten and your not hammering the tube or shrinking it.  If the short larger tube is too loose it won’t really work.

Up here it isn’t “legal” or will pass our vehicle safety inspection program if you weld any steering components, with exception of mounts, so gotta stick to stock or manufactured components to run. If you never plan to sell or safety then it’s fine, but we all get old someday, or want a new build.

I know this doesn’t affect the OP, but I also don’t know what individual US states mandate, so if repair is possible, then I would do it.