Dim instrument lights

Uberchin

Hey guys, can anyone tell me where the instrument lights ground is located?  My bulbs light up but they are very dim. Just as a note, the lights for the clock appear to be at the correct brightness so I'm wondering if the instruments have a separate ground that I can clean up. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Uberchin said:

Hey guys, can anyone tell me where the instrument lights ground is located?  My bulbs light up but they are very dim. Just as a note, the lights for the clock appear to be at the correct brightness so I'm wondering if the instruments have a separate ground that I can clean up. Thanks.

They don't ground to the dash?

On the Plymouths of that era, the dash slights were dimmed by a little unmarked three position toggle switch under the dash.  It is easy to overlook.

Also, it is possible someone has substituted twelve volt bulbs in the instrument panel.   Grounding is through the instrument panel case and should not be an issue given that the speedometer cable and the temperature gauge tube would provide grounding if somehow the instrument case was isolated from the dashboard. 

• Like 1

(drum roll intro)

51 is 1.7 watts

81 is 7 watts

both 6 volt application......apply voltage, see which is brighter (wattage value applies here).....install per your choice...sorry I do not have the exact application as only instrument bulb by number in my book is the #55 for the high beam indicator..which is 2.87 watt

UPDATE...dodge D24 book says #55 for Instrument lights no application for the 81 and the 51 applies only to the very dim light that is the halo on the ignition switch.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Hello,

In my case I used the #81 which was a higher candlepower than the #55. The #81s did brighten up the gauges, the speedo  still is dim. I wonder if the lense within is due to its changing color as the speed goes up is out of align or dirty.

There is a great book by Randy Rundle, "The Official 12-Volt Conversion Guide" that has a 6volt to 12volt bulb conversion chart in it, which help me with my 55 Dodge.

Also my dash dimmer switch is only off/on, not a three way. I believe the 46-48 Ford had a dimmer switch that was a off/on type.

Good luck!

Ernie