Took a ride this afternoon

greg g

Clear skies, no salt on the roads an temps in the low fifties. Every other vehicle seemed to be an SUV with a Christmas tree on the roof although there were a couple motorcycles. Ended up waiting at the station. The former Delaware, Lakawana and Western RR station is in Jamesville, NY half way between Onintavia and Orvilleton.  The right of way is still in use and carries traffic on the Sesquehanna and Western from Binghamton to Oswego..  The station was built in 1869 and had been moved twice. It is now the centerpiece of the village park along the tracks.  It is available for community events.  The train still passes the station, but no longer stops

IMG_20171203_184032_558.jpg

Edited by greg g
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Excellent trips and pictures!  I get a kick out of train and agricultural stuff.  I like that every train station in New York has a story, and usually had some prominent architect design them.  

Before the age of large rubber tires, tractors had lugs on steel wheels, as seen in Pflaming's post above. 

I remember seeing old road signs that read: "Tractors with lugs not allowed on pavement" 

One could imagine why.

Edited by DonaldSmith
typo

I live near Lancaster County here in PA and as you might know this is a very big Amish and Mennonite framing community. You still see the farm tractor being used inthe field witht he all steel wheels and the lugs on the rims along with the horse drawn farm equipment with the Belgian and Morgan  horses. Still a nice site to see the Amish using the old and tried and true methods give them a-lot of credit.

Happy Holidays to everyone

Rich Hartung

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fronts are Uniroyal's, rears are from Pep boys, their house brand forget the name. Both are narrow white walls with the white to the inside.  Just thinking on them the fronts are 20575 15 they are 13 years old and have over 40K on them the rears 225 75 15 were new in 2007, and they have 25 K or more.  Probably should look for replacements in the spring, though they still have good tread depth, no checking or cracks in the sidewalls.