Steering Column Interchange

packratc

Steering column in '50 Business Coupe leaked from day one. I've replaced the pitman arm seal twice. Taking engine back out so it's time to fix the leak. I have a '53 or'54 Plymouth that I've never paid much attention to. Will the steering shaft from the 53-54 fit in the '50 steering tube? The '50 tube is already repainted, the horn & turn signals work, and I've rebuilt the steering wheel. I'm just concerned that the frame mount and the rod length are the same. Where's the best place to get a new box to frame rubber mount? Thanks,  Carl

It might work but I am betting the column jacket and the tube are different lengths on each box.

Edited by dpollo
spelling

What seal are you using.  Sector shafts are interchangeable.  You might be able to use the better of the two shafts along with the right seal to solve your problem and keep the '50 column.

Roberts motor parts or bernbaum have bushings, bearings and such.  I'm currently using the best parts from two boxes and cutting my own gaskets.

I'm guessing that dpollo means that the "jacket" and tube lengths are different.  I'm thinking that ptwothree is saying to change the steering box to the '54 and use the '50  shaft  to insure that the length stays the same. Ptwothree also refers to gaskets. I am refering to the seal for the  pitman arm which is allowing all the grease to leak down the pitman arm.

Thanks, Does anyone else know if the steering shafts are the same length?

Carl

Are you sure the Wayfarer has a longer whellbase than the P19 Business Coupe? The larger cars of both brands are something like 7 inches longer, I know, but that length is made up in the transmission so they can both use the same driveshaft. This means to me that the length between the smaller of both brands have their length differneces in the frame between the wheelbase under the cabin of the bodies. As I have removed the steering box I left the "tube" or "jacket" in place along with the shifting mechanism & rods attached to it. The part that I need is the box itself and the pitman shaft. I can use my  shaft steering which is where the length would be, in the Dodge box along with the Dodge pitman arm if the gears seem compatable. Does anyone know of the steering boxes bolt to the frame the same as the Plymouth? Will the Plymouth pitman arm on the Dodge  pitman shaft? I know that the Hollander Manual of these years lists the and Plymouth & Dodge as having different parts numbers. Thanks for your help and patience.

All you need to stop the leak is a sector shaft and bushings in good condition along with a proper oil seal.  All of these steering boxes you have mentioned have sector shafts that interchange. One of them should be good.  If the bushings are shot, new ones are available.  Why do you want to replace the steering box?  1949/1952 Plymouth and Dodge boxes are the same.

In trying to remove the my pitman arm my rather strong friend took a mighty blow to the arm and missed it and hit the bottom of the  steering box. It is warped so as you can see it. The second seal was tough to get in and it distorted it so it leaked. In getting the seal out I had to drill into the seal to put puller screws in. I drilled into the pitman shaft where the seal runs. Except for the initial leak, all problems are caused by bad luck and my poor skills. We can fix all these but thought it would just be easier, since the  engine is back out and the front end is off, to replace the box. Conflicting information from various sources continually fall my way. Now I'm looking at the steering box out of my '53  Dodge truck. That box is out on the ground already. I really am enjoying my hobby. The good news is that the crankshaft that my friend gave me from a broken block checked out as standard. Just have to polish it.