Shaving a 218 head vs. a standard 230 head?

Thomba48

Fargo..................yeh I know its not stock but when I looked at the pic again as I hadn't for a few yrs..............I too noticed the difference in spark plug location and thought that it might add something, I know not what, to the discusion........lol.........anyway apologies for the intrusion............lol.............and BTW, the cam was a 1/2 race Waggot grind, note the pointy lobes........... .andyd 

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Fargo..................yeh I know its not stock but when I looked at the pic again as I hadn't for a few yrs..............I too noticed the difference in spark plug location and thought that it might add something, I know not what, to the discusion........lol.........anyway apologies for the intrusion............lol.............and BTW, the cam was a 1/2 race Waggot grind, note the pointy lobes........... .andyd 

Your not intruding, mate.

Just thought maybe you had a different idea as comparing to a stock head CC...

Look at the chart Don posted. It says to go from 7 to 1 on a 53 Plymouth 218, remove .050 to get 7.7.  For the dodge it says to go from 7 to 7.7 you need to mill ..070.  So the Dodge must start with a larger combustion chamber, if you need an additional .020 to get the same increase.

I installed an IND-7(236.6) in my WC -12 to replace the 230 that was in it. I installed a 241 ”Spitfire” head on the IND-7. Since the bore of the 236.6 is 3&7/16” vs the 3&3/8” bore of the 241 I supposedly increased the compression ratio. To what I don’t know. I also had the head shaved just a smidgen to clean up some minor rust spots on it. The motor was rebuilt and balanced. It is a real smooth runner and I like it’s performance a lot. The 230 I had in the truck before had a later higher compression 1957 Plymouth 8:1 head on it. When I switched out the old head for this head, I could immediately tell the difference in power. 

I'll see your EDGY and raise you an Edmunds. This head measures 1.673 from head bolt seat to bottom of the head.  The depth of the relieved portion is 7/16ths. I believe these were advertised as 8 to 1 on 218 and 8.5 for 230. Basically on the 230 the head to piston clearance was the thickness of the compressed gasket, and the 218 the couple of 32nds the their piston topped out at in the cylinder.

IMG_20171205_213705.jpg

IMG_20171205_213638.jpg

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JIPJOBXX said:

I shaved the head in my 42 and really noticed the difference right away! .❤️

On what a 201?

0 to 60 in 60 seconds .....lol

Okay relate to our viewers the difference in measurable terms if possible...

the pictures of the different chambers are very interesting, thanks for sharing.

also, thanks for that milling chart, great info!

i have a 1947 dodge 230 on the engine stand right now and the pistons on TDC are between 0,029" and 0,016" below the deck.

also i never saw any of these engines having the pistons level to the deck from the factoy, yet.

(but i admit i haven't seen more than 10 different ones)

4 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

On what a 201?

0 to 60 in 60 seconds .....lol

Okay relate to our viewers the difference in measurable terms if possible...

1942 was the first year for the 230.

56 minutes ago, Cpt.Fred said:

the pictures of the different chambers are very interesting, thanks for sharing.

also, thanks for that milling chart, great info!

i have a 1947 dodge 230 on the engine stand right now and the pistons on TDC are between 0,029" and 0,016" below the deck.

also i never saw any of these engines having the pistons level to the deck from the factoy, yet.

(but i admit i haven't seen more than 10 different ones)

My 56 230. Well not exactly flush, but higher than the 218.

IMG_20171206_112857_093.jpg

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

1942 was the first year for the 230.

Kool is that what Jibjobb has I wonder?

I was just kidding with the 0 to 60...lol

Believe me my 228 is not so fast. 

I am hoping he has a comparison from before and after..