How to tell the year of engine

TylerB46

Hey folks, I got a 46 WC 1/2 ton, and I'm wanting to know how to tell what year the engine in it was made. I'm thinking it's a 230, but the serial number was filed off for some reason. I heard the year it was made should be stamped below the distributor,  and on this engine it says A1 then right below that it has 6 5 7. So would this engine have been made in June of 57? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

4 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

On the side of the block below the distributor near the oil pan and on top of the head behind the distributor.

So according to the head, that engine was made 02/01/1954. Thank you so much for your help!

7 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

The head could have been changed at some point.

yep, if you see numbers that look like a date in a casting, 99% of the time that was the date it was cast.

50 minutes ago, The Oil Soup said:

The head could have been changed at some point.

It may have been, but from what I’ve seen, if this engine is a 230. Supposedly the only differences in those were the heads. There’s a plate under the distributor but it says 6 5 7. So I don’t think that would be the date because its ont the mm/dd/yy format.

difference between the 218 and 230 is more than the head, something about the piston arm or stroke I think as well.  Blocks are identical though.

16 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

difference between the 218 and 230 is more than the head, something about the piston arm or stroke I think as well.  Blocks are identical though.

Yes but what I was meaning was if it is a 230, then the only difference it would make if it had another 230’s head on it, the the compression. Im just bringing that up cause I’m not sure what year the block is, but the head is a 54. I’ve got the dog house unbolted and ready to remove on the truck, once its off I can see more about the block.

The difference between the 218/230 is the crank and connecting rods. I was pointing out the block may well be original to the truck and the head was changed for some reason. There is a milled area on the passenger side of the block above the generator below the head that should have the numbers you need. Here is a link to decode the numbers. http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

17 minutes ago, The Oil Soup said:

The difference between the 218/230 is the crank and connecting rods. I was pointing out the block may well be original to the truck and the head was changed for some reason. There is a milled area on the passenger side of the block above the generator below the head that should have the numbers you need. Here is a link to decode the numbers. http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

For some crazy reason those numbers were filed off. The engine isn’t original to the truck, this used to be my great grandpa’s work truck and the original engine blew. Since there’s not much room between the radiator and the crank bolt, I’ll have to wait till I get the dog house off so that I can turn the engine and measure the stroke. There’s an old rebuild tag on the engine that says its been bored .040 over so I’m hoping it turns out being a 236 instead of a 222.

When I checked the decoder of motor #'s quoted above it said My engine with the # on the block was built as either a 218 OR a 230 for military use I assumed?

DJ